Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do you offer a book for free on Kindle?

edited May 2012 in - Writing Problems
it's in the title really - I've never done a free promotion of a book, but I would like to - how do I do it?

Comments

• There's two ways. One is, you can make it free on Smashwords and hope that Amazon price matches. The other is that you take your book away from every other outlet and sign it up for KDP Select on Amazon. That way you get 5 days over 3 months on which you can run a free promotion.

I've been trying to get my short story to go free on Amazon via the first method for three weeks, but it's still 99c on Amazon so far and it's not reached 100 downloads on Smashwords. On the other hand, I just had a book free for 2 days on Amazon/KDP Select and gave away a *huge* number.
  • Most of my sales come from Smashwords - so there is no way I am going the KDP route. I've done a coupon for Smashwords but that won't get Amazon attention. If I do it myself the problem is it won't move it up the Amazon rankings. Will give it some thought - thank you.