Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Talking of reviews ... Writers & Artists Year Book 2013

edited July 2012 in - Resources
I have 4 past copies of Writers & Artists Year Book - 2002, 2005, 2008 and 2009.
Maybe this says something about my writing/publishing activities or maybe not.
I have these obsolete books stored on a book shelf and thought that I might treat myself to a 2013 copy.
BUT, then I read an adverse review of it on Amazon and am wondering whether to bother.
It is a bit strange to read a review of a handbook like this I think, never mind write one. After all, surely we know what is likely to be in it and it's the details we want not whether it's well written. Seems to me like buying a newspaper then complaining that there was only bad news in it.

Anyway, here's the review :

"This yearbook's title is a bit misleading, it would be more accurate if it was called "The Book Writers Yearbook".

I bought the yearbook as I am interested in writing for TV. I don't doubt if I was interested in writing a novel then this yearbook would be five stars but when it comes to writing for TV it's probably a 1 or 2 star.

The yearbook is approximately 700 pages, an out of that there is slightly less than 40 pages on the subject of writing for TV (and the TV section also incorporates film and radio). In addition, a few of the courses/websites it recommends were closed down two years ago.

However, what was very disappointing was the lack of coverage on production companies - something that is critical for television writers (arguably more so than agencies). There was no mention of the submission criteria for any production company (not even the big independents), apart from the BBC (which they spent 10 of the 40 pages covering). In fact, after reading the 40 pages, you'll probably have the impression that only the BBC produces TV in this country.

My opinion of the yearbook is they are only paying "lip service" to writing for anything other than books and have made almost no effort to cover writing for other industries. However, I do give it 3 stars as the list of agencies included is comprehensive and this list appears up to date (though, to be fair, I'd spent a day on the Internet and gathered most of this information already)."

So, as the reviewer says, most of the information can be found on the internet anyway, so shall I invest £13,60 in a copy, or buy something else that I am more likely to want to keep to read again ?

Comments

• I haven't bought a copy for years.
  • I used to buy it every year, but now, with the internet, I find I can go through a previous copy and check their listings with searches on Google. These days, I find it is essential to check out the agency on their web site, when considering submitting to them, so I no longer see the point in buying the book.

I don't think I agree with the review. If you check out the agencies in detail, you soon discover which ones have divisions that deal with TV and Screen Writing, and there are quite a few of those.