Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thoughts from a bike

edited September 2012 in - Writing Problems
Firstly, I'm back from Antwerp and whilst it was a nice break it is really lovely to be home :)

Not sure if I've mentioned elsewhere, but Snowdrop and I are bikers, that is to say I sit on the back of the Harley and he does the hard work! I truly enjoy the relaxation of sitting on the back and find that my mind fills with thoughts of writing...ideas, plots - all sorts.

But how to capture them?

It isn't possible to write sat on the back. Any ideas you lovely creative people? :)

Comments

• You could always use it as a filter device - try and concentrate on one idea or plot at a time and work out some of the finer details. Whatever you can still remember when you get home is useful enough to be written down. Although this does depend on how good your memory is. As much as people say "you'll remember it if it’s good" sometimes you just don't. Good way to get the old grey matter fighting fit though :P

Failing that you could always hook up a Dictaphone somehow? Or record directly into your mobile? When I went out with my dad on his bike we used to have two way headsets in the helmets so we could talk. Bodge that together with some kind of recording device.

Or just learn how to write reeeallly fast at traffic lights.
  • First, Suzie, I must say that I am glad this is not the thread I feared it might be. In my day a "bike" was a derogatory term :~)

You need a tiny mike inside your helmet, just in front of your mouth, connected to a recording device.
    I am sure you could buy one somewhere - or adapt one.

Or you could sellotape a notebook to Snowdrop's back?
  • I like both suggestions of 'writing fast at traffic lights' and a notebook on the rider's back :D

I think I should attach the pen to me with a cord as I can see it going flying on take-off!
  • I'm thinking about a small hand-held recorder - I'm pretty sure this would work well. Do any of you use one and can recommend?
  • [quote=SuzieW] I... find that my mind fills with thoughts of writing...ideas, plots - all sorts. [/quote]

I get exactly the same when out cycling. It's very relaxing, and once I've settled in to a steady 90rpm, or as close as I can get these days, I go in to auto-pilot and have come up with some of my best writing ideas. I tend not to carry a notebook, but scribble down my thoughts as soon as I get home, before warm-down stretches and shower.
  • [quote=Lizy]I must say that I am glad this is not the thread I feared it might be. In my day a "bike" was a derogatory term [/quote]
    We must have the 'same day', Lizy. :D
  • [quote=Island Girl]We must have the 'same day', Lizy. [/quote]

Apparently the term "village bike" is still recognized - nice to know some of the old time-honoured customs haven't died out.
    :P
  • The term is 'town bike' here - but I suppose that has more to do with the fact that we don't have 'villages' in Australia. :D Although, we do have the term, village idiot, so that one must be a throwback to our English roots.
  • [quote=bored_robots]you could always hook up a Dictaphone somehow[/quote]
    [quote=Lizy]You need a tiny mike inside your helmet, just in front of your mouth, connected to a recording device.[/quote]
    I don't know if they're easy to come by in the UK but those little recording devices are readily available here. I'm pretty sure you can get ones these days that are voice-activated so the battery won't run out if you've gone miles along the road with nothing much to say. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • I think thoughts flow at times like that because we can't stop to write them down - that would interupt the creative flow. Just keep a notebook handy and jot down the ideas the first chance you get.