Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Not getting as many comments on your blog as you'd like?

edited September 2012 in - Resources
If people aren't commenting on your blog it might well be that they're trying and giving up. Do you have that pesky word verification thing set up? A lot of bloggers do but don't realise it (you won't see it yourself) If you have it, please please consider getting rid of it. On several occasions I've tried to leave a comment on a TBers blog and had to give up.

If your not sure if you have it, or don't know how to get rid of it, this might help - http://patsy-collins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/to-whom-it-may-concern.html

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I've found blogger is very efficient at identifying spam and not letting it onto the page, even after I removed the word verification.
    But I have to say I do get a few more comments since I removed WV.
  • I've had that happen so many times and given up.
  • I removed it - chutzpa or whatever it's called - on mine - they don't put it back on after a while, do they?
    I have put my lack of comments down to several things.
    1. only 47 followers.
    2. not sufficiently interesting content.
    3. holidays, other commitments on the part of my so-called followers, mouse-finger paralysis...............
  • [quote=Lizy]I removed it - chutzpa or whatever it's called - on mine - they don't put it back on after a while, do they?[/quote]

Ever since Blogger glitzed itself a little while back, the CRAPCHA was on mine too, and I never realised. I've never had it on cos I hate the bloody things. But now I've removed it, so that should help matters. Must have been an default setting when Blogger upgraded. Wish they'd leave well enough alone, cos the current one is getting right on my t**s.
  • Removing the CAPTCHA (or whatever) won't guarantee comments but it does at least make it easier for those who'd like to comment to do so.
  • You were right. I hadn't realised mine was turned on. It's turned off now... I think.
  • If anyone isn't sure if they've managed to remove it, please feel free to leave a link here and I'll check for you. (I'm starting to feel like a mad crusader about this)
  • [quote=Phots Moll]If anyone isn't sure if they've managed to remove it, please feel free to leave a link here and I'll check for you. (I'm starting to feel like a mad crusader about this)[/quote]
    Mad, bad, and dangerous to know? I'll have some of that!
    http://lizy-expat-writer.blogspot.com.es/
  • edited September 2012
    I think the other thing that might help is to have a message with your posting option to tell people if you're using moderation.
    I've commented on a couple of blogs and because the comment doesn't appear, I can't tell if it's failed or has just gone into the system for the blog owner to check before publishing.

I have mine set to moderate anything posted on older blog posts, but not the newer ones.
  • Lizy, I had no trouble at all posting on your blog.

Carol, I think a message to say if moderation is enabled is a good idea. Personally I don't bother with moderation, but I would if I started getting spam.