Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

BBC International Short Story Award

edited September 2012 in - Resources
Apologies if this is already under discussion - I had a look around but couldn't see a thread.

Is anybody else following the BBC International Short Story Award this year? The podcasts are here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/nssa

I've only heard the first five so far, but they've been very good. Even though a couple of them haven't really been my cup of tea, I've felt like I've learnt something from them, mainly in terms of characterisation or structure.

The podcasts are only available for a short time, so don't miss out. They're well produced (as you'd expect from the BBC) and worth listening to a couple of times, in my opinion.

So far, my favourite's the MJ Hyland one. Which do you think should win?

Comments

• I'm keeping everything crossed for Julian Gough and the iHole. He was one of the tutors at my recent Arvon course. I emailed him to congratulate him on his short listing, as have other students. He said the story was the one he was originally going to read out to us at the course, but changed his mind at the last minute. However, I thoroughly enjoyed his other one too. In my opinion, his one to one tutorial appointment, and feedback on my chosen story, paid for the course on its own.

There's fantastic variety in the short listings, all of which have their own strengths (and a couple I can still appreciate, although they may not be my usual bag) - but I'm biased about who should win. :)
  • The Bulgarian, Penkov, won but I did not listen to his story.
  • edited October 2012
    The winner's was a good story, but it wasn't my favourite. I still haven't listened to them all, but I really enjoyed The iHole - it's a fantastic idea, it's very funny in places and Andrew Scott did a great job of the reading.

I've been very impressed by the standard of the stories this year.