Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Tablets ( computer)

edited October 2012 in Off-topic
I am thinking of buying one. How much should I pay and what should I look for?
Are they handy?

Comments

• After my stateside trip, I can say they are slightly easier to step on, slip down the side of the sofa, use as a cup rest.
    Hard work to touch-type with, but so many people list them as "must have".
    I like my netbook..I'm old fashioned.
  • I have a net book but find it slow using the internet that's why I was considering a tablet.
  • Might be worth giving it a bit of a clean-up Nef, mine was lagging but I took everything off it, re-installed windows and it worked a heck of a lot better. I keep looking at tablets but don't like them.
  • Neph is right. If its slow on the net but nothing else clear out your history folder and check in the bottom right cornerr near the clock (double click) to see what programs are running on the sly. Close and even remove the ones that have "jumped on" for the ride.
    My netbook is fine on the net, runs Firefox (not Internet Explorer- I don't like that at the best of times.) So long as I am not trying to play every game on facebook.
  • I find chrome better than firefox, but then again never liked firefox. Just about to give my netbook a good tidy up. If you want to really check how it's running you can open windows explorer right click on computer and check your system rating.
  • [quote=Neph]I find chrome better than firefox, but then again never liked firefox. Just about to give my netbook a good tidy up. If you want to really check how it's running you can open windows explorer right click on computer and check your system rating.[/quote]

I too prefer Chrome to Firefox. I used Firefox until about a couple of years ago, and had problems which I thought were down to my computer, but were down to the browser. The biggest downside for me was that Firefox more or less disabled all but the most basic functions of Facebook. I could not load videos, and the playing of most games was completely impossible. After some experimentation, I discovered that Google Chrome was not only a big improvement, but actually solved some of the problems I had. I subsequently found that completely removing Firefox from the computer completely solved them all.
  • edited October 2012
    The latest firefox uses plugin containers which slow/freezes everything, especially flash as it uses too much memory. There's a way to remove the container without disabling the program (e.g. Flash) and it really helps, loads games, videos etc much better.

If anyone wants to know the work-around, I'll put it up here when I'm not on my phone (like now :p).

As for tablets, I had one for a while (actually it was a laptop/tablet combined) and I found it great to use, particularly with the pen. Not sure how much they are though.
  • Today's Sunday Times has a review of several different tablets - may be worth a read.

I have an iPad which I like, but I am becoming very frustrated at the browser crashing all the time. I'm going to back it up and restore it to factory settings. If that doesn't work, I'll consider an android. I do like having a tablet and don't find the "virtual" keyboard too much of a problem. Not as good as a real one, obviously, but ok for a small amount of typing.
  • Thanks for reminding me about the IPad comp in the Sunday Times- you can enter every hour up to closing time...