Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Chapter headings

edited October 2012 in - Writing Problems
I wrote short song lyrics to go at the head of each chapter of my fantasy novel, but decided to leave them out when I published on Kindle, thinking that they might look off-putting. I've since started putting them on my website, but I'm still undecided whether I should have included them in the novel. How do members feel about starting chapters with a verse, quote etc. before the main body of the text?

Comments

• Some novelists use this effectively, Kayess: so long as they aren't long, and have some relevance to the text, it's not a problem. In a fantasy novel, it may be even more acceptable than in a mainstream one, because it could add to the setting of the scene and the sense of otherworldliness.
  • I've just read a really good Kindle thriller (sorry, can't remember the name - something like 'The Lamb, the Lion . . .?')

Not every chapter, but a good few, began with an image of torn bits of paper with handwritten messages. It worked really well, I thought, and is not something I've seen before.

Generally, though, if it's a passage, and especially if it's in much smaller font, I tend to only skim it as I'm eager to get on with the story!
  • I agree with Mrs Bear - if short and appropriate they'd be OK. If long or not obviously connected with the story they might be distracting or feel like padding.
  • As long as they are your own, Kayess. Copyright on song lyrics can be expensive.
  • I like what Jasper Fforde does with his chapter headings - he'll tend to start each one with something like an extract from a fictitious encyclopaedia entry or a memoir written by one of the characters from the book. Generally they're either funny or they give an insight into what's about to happen (i.e. a bit of a teaser), and occasionally their relevance only becomes apparent right at the end of the chapter, leading to one of those, Ah! Now I get it! moments.

I think the key is to be very critical and only include them if you're sure they add something. The fact you're not certain about putting them in suggests they aren't absolutely vital.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Paperbackwriter, they're my own lyrics - I wouldn't know where to begin getting permission to use someone else's. If they're that expensive, it's perhaps just as well! I was hoping for the Jasper Fforde effect, but was worried they might seem pretentious, or interrupt the flow although they're only a few lines. I'm hoping to get a new cover done for the novel soon, so as I'll be making one change, if the worst that readers are liable to do is skim over them, I suppose I could include them then and see what happens. (Sorry, that's a rather convoluted sentence. I hope it makes sense.)
  • I love chapter headings and I try to get a pun. I'm well aware they might have to go, though and if the editor says they're out, then they're out. They're fun but they're not essential.