Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Finally got a paying acceptance of a story

edited October 2012 in - Writing Tales
After having several stories published at non-paying venues I've finally had one accepted at a paying venue. eFiction Horror will be publishing a story of mine in an upcoming issue. Seems I made it into the magazine at the right time because they stopped offering payment a few weeks after I submitted my story! It only pays $20, but to me it's a major milestone in my attempt to become a better fiction writer.

Comments

• Well done, DeneBebbo, however small, enjoy the moment. Here's to many more.
  • Well done.
  • Brilliant news, well done!
  • Congratulations. At least it's progress in the right direction.
  • Well done, Denebebbo. It IS a milestone. Congratulations ;)
  • Great news. Well done!
  • Congratulations DB - just goes to prove persistence pays off!
  • Well done, DB. You can buy a lot with that.
    What's on your shopping list?
  • Great news, well done, DB.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]What's on your shopping list? [/quote]

Drinks all round I think.

Hurray for Dene. :)
  • Congratulations, Denebebbo! I hope it's the first of many.
  • Congrats, Dene! May this be the first of many.
  • Congratulations! Onwards and upwards (on the payment scale!).
  • Congratulations!

It's a nice feeling when people like your work so much they're prepared to pay for it.
  • Congratulations
  • Great stuff, Dene Bebbo.
  • Fantastic, DeneBebbo, well done!
  • Excellent news, another step up the ladder eh DeneBebbo!
  • Great news, DB. Well done and enjoy your pay cheque!
    As it's your first, how about buying something 'keepy' with it so that every time you see/use it you'll remember how this felt.
    Nice pen maybe?
  • Well done DB! Photocopy that cheque and keep it on your wall for inspiration - you definitely have to cash the real one!
    It's recognition, it's a score, it's your foot on the ladder!
  • [quote=heather]As it's your first, how about buying something 'keepy' with it so that every time you see/use it you'll remember how this felt.
    Nice pen maybe? [/quote]

That's a good idea, but I suspect the money will go on a bottle of bubbly! :-)
  • Well, at least you can keep the cork!
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done! and $20 isn't that small in the writing world. I often let stories go for a fiver if it's a small press! Just nice to see them in print.
  • Hurray! Yes, that's a good payment, especially for an ezine. Well done, you should be proud.
  • Fantastic! Congratulations.
  • Congratulations, that's great.
  • I've also managed to get accepted in another non-paying gig, the Pill Hill Press Daily Frights 2013: 365 Days of Frightening Flash Fiction
  • Oooh, well done.

So, by the end of that year there are going to be a lot of traumatised readers out there.

I hope you can live with that responsibility, DB!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]So, by the end of that year there are going to be a lot of traumatised readers out there.

I hope you can live with that responsibility, DB! [/quote]

Very traumatised if the rest of the stories are as horrific as mine! :-)
  • Missed this thread DB - huge congrats on both the eFiction Horror and the Pill Hill Daily Frights acceptances!
  • Well done, DB, on your recent successes. :)
  • Well done. Sorry I've missed quite a lot on here recently so trying to catch up slowly. :)
  • Congratulations. Makes you feel like a proper writer doesn't it?
  • [quote=sue jones]Congratulations. Makes you feel like a proper writer doesn't it? [/quote]

Yeah, it's nice to get exposure of my fiction, but being paid for it is even better.
  • Well done!