Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Proofreading skills

edited November 2012 in - Writing Problems
My sister recently bought a book with tons of errors in it.

She says she regrets buying it now because it made her stop reading it and said she could have checked it herself because, being a secretary, she's always correcting work for her boss.

She said it can't be hard, can it? Check your work before it goes out to the world?

I think checking your own work IS hard.

What do you think and does anyone know of a suitable proofreading course I can advise her to go on?

Comments

• It is hard, you need more than one pair of eyes to check your work if you aren't suitably proofreader material...
  • Whilst I in no way condone sloppy writing (misplaced apostrophes are my personal bug-bear), I bet this author suffers from the same affliction that I do; self-blindness.

I have absolutely no problem spotting errors in other people's work, and in fact I often pick up on some pretty tiny errors, I routinely miss problems in my own writing. Whilst I would hardly say that I have tons of errors, I do need someone else to read anything of mine with more than 500 words in it, unless I have time to put it aside an come back to it a week or so later when it's dropped out of my memory.

I'm glad it's not just me (unless this author is just sloppy, in which case, tut tut).
  • edited November 2012
    Even 500 words can hold author blind spots!
    My darling daughter reads most of my stuff - she's practically standing over me waiting for the next masterpiece, bless her - and she has an eagle eye for typos.
    Today I was about to send a re-written (tweaked) short story out and just spotted an extra "he" in time.
    Lord knows what else I missed. Should have shown it to Mandy first but there wasn't time.

Misplaced apostrophes are everywhere - particularly prevalent in greengrocers' shops.
    Spud's 50p a pound. Tomato's £1.25p. etc.
  • Hi Dora

She could try Chapterhouse Publishing. Here's the link:

http://www.chapterhousepublishing.co.uk/index.shtml

I did the proofreading and copy-editing course. It's quite tough but worth the effort!
  • [quote=delvey]I'm glad it's not just me[/quote]

I think it's something that happens to all of us. I have a piece published online on BBC Wildlife Magazine's website. It was a piece I worked on - off and on - for ages. I double, triple and quadruple checked it before I submitted it. But there's an error - a tense is wrong in one of the sentences and it makes me wince with annoyance!
  • But we see these things because we know. The average reader probably doesn't think about it...
  • With short stories, I find it's a good thing to write it then put it away for quite a looooong time.

When I go back to it later, it's easier to see what's wrong with it.
  • As a former teacher and Head of English, I pride myself at spotting mistakes at a hundred metres. Marking stories used to take forever!

I would have bet my bottom dollar that I had edited all my books to within almost an inch of their life. Then, this week, someone pointed out that I had left out the word 'he' in a sentence.

In the words of Victor Meldrew, I could not believe it! I even doubted the validity of what she had said.

But, no! She was right. I had re-read that book hundreds of times and missed it each time.

I have now stepped down from my pedestal and am eating gargantuan portions of humble pie.
  • edited November 2012
    [quote=Tiny Nell]I had re-read that book hundreds of times and missed it each time. [/quote]

And therein lies the problem. When it's our own work, we KNOW what we've written and even when we're editing a piece of our writing, we're still actually only 'seeing' what we already know is there - if you get my drift.
  • I spotted one in the winning competition story in Writers' News. a white lady's glove. I find I have printed mine out twice and still found an error in my own work then read it out at our group and found something else - infuriating. Perhaps our proof reading part of the brain switches off when it is our own work.
  • One thing that has happened to me, is when I write my monthly letter for the parish magazine, which as the Vicar, is always expected specifically from me. When our magazine editor first took on the job, for some reason he had a computer problem which meant he could not open attachments or even copy and paste my article, which I had checked, double checked and treble checked for errors. The very first time, until he updated his computer, he decided to retype the whole thing - about 650 words - from my email, and then I got several people who read the magazine telling me it was full of mistakes. When I looked at the finished magazine, it became obvious to me that he had typed the thing in a hurry, and thereby had introduced errors that I knew I had not made. In all, there were 7 errors, (four spelling mistakes, two words missing, and one word duplicated). Fortunately, my editor found the problem with his computer, and is now able to open attachments, so that any errors that do turn up are entirely mine. I obviously make the occasional error as we all do, but not many, as I always check it thoroughly before submitting it.
  • [quote=B Darter]I spotted one in the winning competition story in Writers' News. a white lady's glove.[/quote]
    Surely "lady's glove" is correct BD? Are you meaning it should be plural (ladies')?
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I had left out the word 'he' [/quote]

So that's where my extra 'he' came from!
  • [quote=Webbo]B Darter wrote: I spotted one in the winning competition story in Writers' News. a white lady's glove.
    Surely "lady's glove" is correct BD? Are you meaning it should be plural (ladies')? [/quote]

I wonder whether BD means it should be "a lady's white glove" rather than the glove of a white lady.
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2012
    Yes, as it is, it means the lady is white. You could say, the white, lady's glove.
  • Lou Treleaven/Liz: That is what I meant, as opposed to a black lady's glove.
  • Writer's Bureau do a shortish course in the art of proofreading and copyediting which I am currently doing at the present. Look out for bargain cost offers in Writer's News. You could suggest that if she is miles from a college course and she can do it in her own time.
  • Thanks Woll, and everyone for your comments above. Will put your ideas to her and see what she says.

[quote=Webbo]B Darter wrote: I spotted one in the winning competition story in Writers' News. a white lady's glove. Surely "lady's glove" is correct BD? Are you meaning it should be plural (ladies')?
    [/quote]

It's answers like this that make me wonder if Jonathan Webbo still comes to check on us lot at TB any more.
  • [quote=dora]make me wonder if Jonathan Webbo still comes to check on us lot at TB any more. [/quote]

Dunno. When I emailed him on Sunday the reply on Monday came from AN Other.
  • He has to take his holidays when he can... :)

He might even have got the latest bugs going round, and is curled up on his sofa with a hot lemon drink and a big box of tissues... :)
  • Awww, yes you're quite right Carol, and with the little guy getting bigger by the day (the baby I mean :) ) Jonathan Webbo WILL be wanting to take his holidays when he can.

It's just I'm sure it's been soooooooo long since the real Jonathan Webbo was here. 'gasp' Suppose he's left WM and found himself different employ?
  • NOOOOOOOOOO! That can't happen. Because he's ours.
  • He must have gnawed through the chain and padlock that were keeping him at his desk.
  • Or ended up in an institution.
  • Maybe he's busy buying our Christmas pressies?
  • This Christmas will be lovely with his little baby Webblet. Maybe he's shopping for wooden puzzles and building bricks and teddy bears?
  • Yes, but what will he buy for Webblet?
  • Juat took a look at Webbo's profile. Someone purporting to be Webbo was lurking here 15 hours ago.
  • Either Webbo is keeping track while away from the office, or it was one of his helpers- makes him sound like Santa...:D
  • [quote=snailmale]Someone purporting to be Webbo was lurking here 15 hours ago. [/quote]

I think he's checking what we're up to so that he can select just the right present for each of us. I did mention the lovely boots I have my eye on, didn't I?

Look out for that 'Special Delivery', everyone.

Ho Ho Ho!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I think he's checking what we're up to[/quote]

it's not the real Webbo checking up. Might not even be a 'he'.
  • Someone called Jonathon Webbo is still supposedly writing the WM Editorial, picture included.

Perhaps it's not him. Perhaps it's never been him. Perhaps there isn't a him. The Man Who Never Was.
  • Writing a WM Editorial has naff all to do with popping here and joining in.

[quote=snailmale]Perhaps it's never been him[/quote] There was definitely a him but the voice of authority on Talkback that used to be him is no longer.

Perhaps we should re-enact a Monty Python parrot sketch to honour his absence.
  • Hello
    Jonathan is away at present, but I'm dropping in now and then as always.
    Regards
    Tam
  • "disappears under the counter in a search for fork handles"
  • edited December 2012
    We have provoked a response from above!

Tam? Is that Tam O'Shanter ?

Are we under surveillance from the Celtic Fringe?
  • [quote=dora]disappears under the counter in a search for fork handles"[/quote]

*tuts*

*Lights four candles in memory of Webbo*
  • I think you'll find that the Fork Handles sketch was the Two Ronnies, not Monty Python.
  • Yyyyyyeeees

and I think you'll find Jonathan wouldn't have needed to have explained the joke.
  • *wonders if he should employ a researcher to vet the accuracy of his TB posts*
  • "stuffs dead parrot into undergarments and scurries off"
  • *Hopes parrot is really dead, for the parrot's sake*
  • *disembodied voice from under computer chair*

Big Brother or Sister (probably Sister) is watching us.

Yikes.