Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

B&Q info - help support our vanishing bee population

edited May 2013 in - Resources
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/content/marketing/bees/index

Comments

• There was a 404 error (yes, another one of those) when I clicked on the link, dora.
  • http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/content/marketing/bees/index.jsp?ecamp=Bee_Twitter1&noCookies=false&noleftnav=true&stop_mobi=yes

sorry TN
  • Thanks, dora.

Now it works.

I have a real phobia about bees (and wasps), but I don't want to see them die out (quite happy for wasps to sling their hooks, mind you).

I love lavender, but have not got any purely because it attracts them. My back garden where we sit out isn't very bee-friendly at all, I'm afraid, but I've made up for it in the front where I have flowers galore... though I do have to cover up from head to toe if I climb around amongst them to weed (doesn't happen very often). I'm easy to find if I go out there. I'm the one squealing and running in circles.
  • I like bees. Bees are fat and fuzzy and silly looking.

However, whilst B&Q might be applauded for getting us to buy bee-friendly plants for our gardens, they are really only cashing in on the bee decline. Bees are hardly likely to live comfortably in our gardens then go off to work each day pollinating the farmers' crops. The real problem is no mystery. It's pesticides in the main - added to loss of habitat in the wild. Why not try signing the Friends of the Earth petition to try and get the Government to do something about it before it's too late?
    https://www.foe.co.uk/what_we_do/bee_cause_david_cameron_petition_39395.html?utm_expid=4681116-13&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foe.co.uk%2Fwhat_we_do%2F35522.htm
  • The Gvt has had to - it went to the European vote last week i think or the week before, and our Gvt (who voted against stopping use of the chemicals thought to be harming bees) were defeated. Thank goodness. Hopefully some good will come of that.

Supported by greed or not, planting bee-friendly plants can only help the bee population, and raising the bee populations will mean more queens spreading further and into more territories and of course that will be farmland as well as rural areas.

Gardens cover a massive area of our country and could replace the habitat which has been lost to bees for foraging.

Also, it's not just honey bees that are suffering, there are many bumble bees and other types of bee that are suffering a lack of nectar, so anything planted will also help them.
  • This kind of marketing promotion infuriates me. Yet again the cycnical global commercial machine dumps the problem back on the consumer, who tries to lobby the Gov. to take the action necessary (control the poisonous methods of agri-business) without success, then it's Oh! whoopsy - we need charities to protect the bees, to clean up after the Iraq war, to help this that and the other where profiteers have made a mess. I'm sick of it.
  • Surely the Gvt is there to govern the country in a myriad of ways, and it IS our job (they should respond to us and things which we find important, at least theere is info nowadays to know this sort of stuff is going on - years ago we would never have known) to draw their attention to stuff like this.

No Gvt could possibly cover everything that needs doing, i think people who are standing back and have their finger on the pulse of different aspects of human life should be able and should be the ones to say - hang on, this is wrong, something needs doing.

Our Gvt in this instance took no notice of the people, too much big business interest no doubt but in europe and the Europea Union have taken notice, and by signing the various things to lend ones suppor i think the weight of public opio on the matter has been registered.

I'd much rather have a flow of information no matter how infuriating and worrying than silence and having to trust those in charge who might never notice the plight of bees or come within a mile of understanding the significance.
  • Fair enough, but the population/electorate are asking for stricter controls on the pesticides which are harming bees, and we've been asking for a long time, and we're getting the usual cloth-eared response, which is nowt.
  • But they have to do it now as it's been passed as an EU directive or whatever... don't they?
  • Oh good. I knew the vote was going through, but I didn't know it had been passed in favour of bees and food supplies.