Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bookmark promotion - advice sought

edited August 2013 in - Writing Problems
I am attempting for the first time to do some bookmarks to promote my novels (the second one comes out in October) I'd really welcome input on whether they look ok and whether there is anything I am missing that would make them better:
http://giftitatry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bookmark-draft-e1377696094457.jpg

Comments

• It doesn't say where they're available from and I can't tell from this what genre they are. Are you able to print on the backs? If so then a mini blurb of each and info on how to buy would be good.
  • I'd keep to one book per bookmark.

Having had bookmarks from other writers over the years, they've used the cover as the whole background and then had the title and author somewhere on the front, with website details.
  • 'Out now in paperback from alfiedog.com' would be better. A short headline blurb on the lines of, 'The past doesn't hurt until you disturb it... ' might work.
    Like the new front cover, by the way!
  • nena designed the new one - she's amazing!
  • People don't like fat bookmarks, I did find that out, and it looks too wide for a bookmark.

I have made hundreds and always regret not putting info on... do you need 'now out in paperback'? Wouldn't people presume that they ARE paperbacks?

I'd have;

A photo

A very succinct review that reveals genre

Where it is available from, ie website address and your email address.

I'd keep the font plain.
  • It isn't as wide as it looks Liz - this is the ready to print version with bleeds.

Thanks to the advice I'm off to reduce it to one book and include more detail. I can't include a review as it's not out yet so I don't have any - but I'll put a teaser on and just to The Lifetracer which is the new one.
  • edited August 2013
    Version 2
    http://giftitatry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bookmark-Lifetracer-draft-e1377721213643.jpg

It will be in some bookshops too but I don't want to put too much on.
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2013
    Much more interesting - like the colour too, but still don't think it looks like detective/mystery/murder/police font.
  • Much better with just the one book.
  • Looks to me as though there's a word missing. '...to stop another murder from ...The Lifetracer'

Otherwise it's much better.
  • no PM - the character is The Lifetracer
  • Another murder by the Lifetracer? A murder isn't from someone.
  • [quote=Mutley]the character is The Lifetracer[/quote]

OK, but the reader of the bookmark might not realise that and even if they do, it still doesn't seem right to me.

[quote=Mrs Bear] A murder isn't from someone.[/quote] I agree.
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2013
    And if two people out of 4 who have looked at it don't understand it...

Still think the font is a problem as it isn't very clear could be more of a problem for people with eyes like mine, bookmarks are so small. The biggest font i could get on mine was 10, and 14 is supposed to be the smallest for people over 50.

Surely the font should be the one for the book (which is lovely and clear) rather than your website? Then the website info at the end would stand out, in its alfie dog font.
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]Another murder by the Lifetracer? A murder isn't from someone.[/quote]

I agree.

But if Mutley changes it, it will read ' ...another murder by The Lifetracer by Rosemary J. Kind

Although that's right, it doesn't read well.
  • Do you need 'by RJK', since it says it on the book cover?
  • This reminds me of the days, nay weeks of re-jigging mine! It's hard to say little about a lot in a small space.
  • And I suppose it explains why advertisers earn the big bucks. Simples.
  • BB - that was exactly why I used from - we shall wait and see they are ordered now. I've done double sided with the other book on the other side. It wasn't much more expensive.
  • [quote=Phots Moll].to stop another murder from ...The Lifetracer' [/quote]

I agree. It doesn't quite read right. sorry.

How about

"York investigator Connor Bancroft is working against the clock to stop another murder."

The Lifetracer

by

etc.
  • Too late. Mutley's gone to print.
  • Isn't it wonderful how long as writers we can debate a single word (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious) I love this type of discussion. That was one reason I used to love working with lawyers. Words are such fantastic tools.
  • :)
    So true.
  • [quote=Mutley]Isn't it wonderful how long as writers we can debate a single word [/quote] It's also quite possible to come up with several different right answers.

Your version is right because it says what you want it to and you're happy with it. That doesn't make Mrs Bear, pbw and others wrong though. It's a wonder we ever finish editing anything, isn't it?
  • It's given me an idea - how about a thread on getting those who'd enjoy it to design something... something simple like a bookmark, not a book cover, with exactly the same elements, and see how different they all end up being!

Any arty types up for it?

So they all end up the same size etc, I could send a Word doc template...
  • The brief would have to be clear but yes it's a great idea, particularly for those of us who are having to do some of these things but for whom it may not be their first skill!
  • Can I ask how much you are paying for bookmarks etc? I need to get on with some myself.
  • edited September 2013
    I used Stress Free Bookmarks and the prices depend on how many you order and what you have. Mine arrived today and thank you all, they are brilliant. Liz, you will be pleased to know the test is plenty big enough to read.
  • http://www.stressfreeprint.co.uk/bookmarks/
  • sorry - thanks BB
  • Thought this might be of interest.

http://offtheshelfbookpromotions.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/one-simple-affordable-tool-for-marketing-your-self-published-book-the-bookmark/
  • brilliant article, thanks BB
  • Hi Rosemary, I'd like your picture, and the blurb plus web link. The book mark will be in the book, so you need to promote yourself as the author I'd say. Be bold and have your picture only. That's what's been on bookmarks I've had as gifts in books.
  • [quote=sue jones]Hi Rosemary, I'd like your picture, and the blurb plus web link. The book mark will be in the book, so you need to promote yourself as the author I'd say. Be bold and have your picture only. That's what's been on bookmarks I've had as gifts in books.[/quote]

I've just arranged to have some of my own bookmarks printed. A picture of me would NOT sell books, I'm quite sure of that! On the other hand, if I sell a book and give away a bookmark for a different book with details of my website, I think I'd have a much better chance. Or I can just give away bookmarks without books to encourage people.
  • I shall not be giving them as gifts in books but using them for promotion. I've not put one book on each side so even giving it in a book might work.