Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Even More Ramblings on a Sunny Morning

edited September 2013 in - Writing Problems
Unable to gather enough material in your mind to go on with your next book, you might be tempted to spend time pondering the unanswerable questions of life, such as; why doesn’t Lewis Hamilton realise that sideburns went out decades ago? Whoever thought visible zips were a good look? Whatever happened to Moira Anderson? I decided to write to Talkback instead.

Actually, I’ve just received my latest rejection – the usual standard type of reply. Why is it that literary agents deplore a multiple approach from authors, when they use it themselves all the time? Yes, yes, I understand the reasons but isn’t it just a teeny bit hypocritical? I look forward to the time when I have my own study and can stick all the rejection letters/slips/e-mails on the wall, to show them to visitors when I’m at least a moderately successful published writer (probably as a result of self-publishing). Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Back to my current problem, though. I’m dying to get on with my latest but, after making a start, I’ve come quickly to a screeching halt. It’s no good: I can’t work everything out as I go along. I must have the bulk of the plot in my mind to begin with. I suppose I’ll just have to wait for a lightbulb moment or, preferably, several.

Comments

• Oh Lah-tay I do commiserate with you, I've also just had the dreaded 'Thanks but no thanks' rejection too!
    Can I come a-ramblin' oh with you? It's a lovely sunny day here in God's County and I would love to be out there picking blackberries to go with the two carrier bags full of windfall apples that my lovely neighbour had brought round!

[quote=Lah-tay] I must have the bulk of the plot in my mind to begin with. I suppose I’ll just have to wait for a lightbulb moment or, preferably, several.[/quote]
    That's my problem, I have loads of scenarios to work on but it's just sitting at the keyboard and getting on with it that I find challenging.
  • Okay, some suggestions to help with your current issue.

Write down what you do know- all those bits are jumbled up in your brain and making it difficult to progress. Doesn't matter how you do it, whether it's long notes or brief sentences.

A. it helps clear your mind, and B. it allows you to look at what you've put down and see if something is important, or fits in a particular order.
    Waiting for the lightbulb moment is not going to happen unless you get your brain moving, and it won't while everything is a jumble.
  • Victoria

]Can I come a-ramblin' oh with you?[/quote]

Ah. Fond memories of Rambling Sid Rumpo. I don't know which county God's county is but I hope you will be able to commune with nature and collect your blackberries, which would combine with the apples to make a scrummy blackberry and apple pie.

I did a bit of communing myself recently in Norfolk and saw lots of lovely water, greenery, and gorgeous peacock butterflies. I think this may have helped me to make a start when I got back.

Carol,

Thank you for this advice. I've followed it already and I think it has taken me nearer to re=starting. I'll keep plugging away.
  • Good luck Lah-tay. :)
  • [quote=Lah-tay] I don't know which county God's county[/quote]
    Dear me Lah-tay God's county is the great county of Yorkshire pudding land. They do say that Yorkshire folk can walk on water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've just finished making loads of apple crumbles, so I'm not sure if I want to go picking blackberries just now. Maybe later in the week. But I would love to come to Norfolk with you, I have lovely memories of living there when my OH was in the RAF.
    Thanks Carol for the encouragement. At the moment I am following the good advice from Viv Hampshire (last month's WM) and I can see straight away why my editing needs to be more critical. I also need to work on one piece of work at a time; once I get the light bulb I tend to go hell for leather on that piece and forget about the ones I was working on.
    I also find too many distractions make me lose my train of thought. It seems as soon as I fire up the trusty lap top someone needs to ask me something really vitally important! Grrr
  • [quote=Victoria44]I also find too many distractions make me lose my train of thought. It seems as soon as I fire up the trusty lap top someone needs to ask me something really vitally important! Grrr[/quote]

I so sympathise. That is why I've hardly been able to write anything over the summer holidays...
  • [quote=Victoria44]They do say that Yorkshire folk can walk on water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

They also say the best thing to come out of Yorkshire is the road to Lancashire. (Thora Hird )
  • [quote=neil]They also say the best thing to come out of Yorkshire is the road to Lancashire.[/quote]

Oooh neil. Shall us start the Wars of the Roses again? Promise not to bury me in a car park in Leicester?
  • [quote=neil]They also say the best thing to come out of Yorkshire is the road to Lancashire.[/quote]

And me...of course :D
  • What about Webbo?!