Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

how to punctuate a characters thoughts

edited September 2013 in - Writing Problems
In this months Writing Mag it was said that a characters thoughts do not need to be in speech marks, which answered one of my questions. But do you have to put their actual thought in italics, or not? I've scoured the internet but there seem to be so many different answers to this so I remain confused. If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful. Thanks

Comments

• What confuses me is not so much that there are so many different ways, and therefore so many different answers, but that so many 'experts' insist that one particular way is right, and every other way is wrong. I find it incredible how many of these 'experts' insist that doing something a particular way is so wrong that publishers will reject such work out of hand, and yet the number of books in print out there with many of these supposedly incorrect methods prove otherwise. It seems to me that even if you do something in a way that an 'expert' says is correct, yet another will insist that it is wrong. When it comes to characters thoughts, I don't use speech marks either, and neither do I use italics.
  • Many thanks for that. You're quite right in all that you say. I guess consistency is the most important thing - or simply don't let your characters think!
  • I find italics much clearer, and for me, clarity is paramount.

I'm just reading Mark Haddon's latest book and speech is in italics, no speech marks (thus very clear) and thought is just reported, but because thoughts are not set on another line like speech it is very hard to tell who is having the thought sometimes.
  • I never use italics or speech marks for a character's thoughts.

Though I do use italics (in my current WIP) when I'm showing my heroine's nightmare/flashback, and her thoughts at the time. As I'm using it to make a clear distinction between the present/everyday and the nightmare/flashbacks of returning memory from the past.
  • I always use italics for thoughts, but no speech marks.

I will try and demonstrate, but Webbo has denied us the use of italics!

*I wonder where he's hidden it*, she thought.

The bit between * and * would be in italics. I would add in the other speech conventions, too, like a comma after the last word spoken before the speech tag (as demonstrated).
  • I try to avoid writing "she thought" because it feels clunky.

I'd use something like . . "wracks brains" . .

Fleur looked at her sister open-mouthed - she hadn't realised Clara was capable of such deception.

I suppose that's known as "reporting thoughts" ?
  • Mark Haddon's book, by the way, is EXCELLENT.
  • [quote=Carol]I never use italics or speech marks for a character's thoughts. [/quote] Neither do I (unless house style demands it)

Sometimes I'll type 'she thought' or similar if that's needed to make it clear. Often it isn't.
  • Agree, PM.

And obviously house style takes priority.
  • [quote=Carol]I never use italics or speech marks for a character's thoughts. Though I do use italics (in my current WIP) when I'm showing my heroine's nightmare/flashback, and her thoughts at the time. As I'm using it to make a clear distinction between the present/everyday and the nightmare/flashbacks of returning memory from the past.[/quote]

I agree!
  • [quote=Phots Moll]Neither do I (unless house style demands it)Sometimes I'll type 'she thought' or similar if that's needed to make it clear. Often it isn't.[/quote]

Agree again.
  • Always check with the publishing house requirements before sending submissions. Some are still old school and prefer that any intended italicised words should be underlined to denote internal thoughts. Others are quite happy for italics (no speech marks). And non italicised thoughts are also acceptable.

[quote=Lizy]I try to avoid writing "she thought" because it feels clunky.[/quote]

Don't be afraid to write he/she said ONLY where it is necessary.

[quote=JohnWho63]It seems to me that even if you do something in a way that an 'expert' says is correct, yet another will insist that it is wrong. [/quote]

I understand your frustration, John. I'm sure every other writer feels the same. Don't worry about what experts think, just worry about what the agent/editor/publishing house wants, because that's what matters.
  • [quote=Melina]just worry about what the agent/editor/publishing house wants, because that's what matters.[/quote]

But what of the TBers who write purely for their own pleasure and to submit to the occasional comp? What guidelines should they follow? They want to get it right.
  • It should be obvious from the narrative that it is the character's thoughts. If you create a situation where Jack must find the keys [of whatever] before a certain time otherwise...bad things happen etc. If the narrator is describing Jack's search, the words DAD! wHERE DID YOU PUT THOSE KEYS? are obviously his internal thoughts. Quote marks and/or italics is just CLUTTER methinks.
  • I never use quotes or italics for thoughts. Thoughts are usually self-evident.
  • Thinks (in italics)

It's just me then...
  • [quote=Baggy Books]But what of the TBers who write purely for their own pleasure and to submit to the occasional comp? What guidelines should they follow? They want to get it right.[/quote]

If the competition doesn't specify then do whichever you prefer, but as long as it is consistent, and the reader is not going to struggle to decipher the differences, can see which is thought etc.
  • [quote=Carol]...as long as it is consistent, and the reader is not going to struggle to decipher the differences, can see which is thought etc.[/quote]
    These words reminded me of a book I picked up off a library shelf some years ago, a novel, but a big one. I sat down and read the first few pages, and wondered why I was having trouble understanding which was thought, speech, etc. I then found in the back of the book, a whole 1+1/2 pages which apparently explained how to understand the way the author had written the book. I only wish I could remember the title, so that other TBer's could take a look for themselves, but at the time this made me lose interest immediately. I often wonder how many other potential readers that author lost by making his/her book so complicated that he/she felt the need to explain how to read it. I can understand that for a factual or reference book maybe, but for a novel?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]But what of the TBers who write purely for their own pleasure and to submit to the occasional comp? What guidelines should they follow? They want to get it right.[/quote]

If no conventions are specified, it is best to denote internal thoughts with italics. That way it is consistent and clear.
  • How would I punctuat this thought I wonder?

*just what was that song by Queen ... I want to ride my ????*

Answers on a postcard. Please.
  • Thank you all v.much. Non italics and non-speech marks win on average so I'll go down that road. Havent' sent the novel off yet, but I'd be happy if an agent agrees to even read first 3 chapters, and at that stage I won't be asking her how she wants my characters thoughts presented!! It can always be changed if I get as far as a publisher, or if an agent takes me on.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]*I wonder where he's hidden it*, she thought.[/quote]

I don't quite see the point of either quote marks, underlining or italics when you follow with 'she thought''?

[quote=bill]Quote marks and/or italics is just CLUTTER methinks.[/quote]

Me thinks also, Bill.

Who are these 'houses' whose 'style' demands this unnecessary d
  • edited September 2013
    Who are they, you ask?

You are joking?

It's Publishers.
  • Yes, but which ones?
  • [quote=neil]I don't quite see the point of either quote marks, underlining or italics when you follow with 'she thought''? [/quote]

But it's not really narration. It's more similar to speech than narrative.

We denote characters' words using a particular convention that makes it obvious on the page that we are looking at speech. I think it makes perfect sense to make thought visually different, too.

I was reading Tess Gerritsen's latest book earlier on today. I think she's a great writer. I noticed that she uses italics for thought. It worked well as it followed actual speech by the same character, thus emphasising the discrepancy between what we, the readers, know as compared to what the character on the other side of the conversation hears. It separates it from the fill-in text.
  • OK. Must beg to differ. I'm very much a 'he said', 'he thought' sort of peasant.
  • [quote=neil]Yes, but which ones?[/quote]

They all do it in some way from big publishers down.

I'm sure Melina can clarify.

Even the women's magazines have such rules for their writers.
  • [quote=neil]I'm very much a 'he said', 'he thought' sort of peasant[/quote]

I agree that speech tags should be limited.

On that we can concur!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I noticed that she uses italics for thought. It worked well as it followed actual speech by the same character, thus emphasising the discrepancy between what we, the readers, know as compared to what the character on the other side of the conversation hears. It separates it from the fill-in text.[/quote]

This is one of the main reasons why I use italics for thought. I also have my main character acting another character sometimes, and it's fun to emphasise the difference between the polite and friendly 'character' and my angry, sarcastic protagonist.
  • God, Meph. I've just seen your picture. Terrifying, he thought.
  • [quote=neil]God, Meph. I've just seen your picture. Terrifying, he thought.[/quote]

How offensive, she thought, hoping that no-one would read her thoughts.

Just kidding :D
  • :)

Welcome to the madhouse, by the way.
  • [quote=neil]I don't quite see the point of either quote marks, underlining or italics when you follow with 'she thought''? [/quote]

Not every internal thought will have 'she thought' or 'he thought' after it. That is almost as bad as 'he said/she said' overkill. Using italics is a way of differentiating from internal thought and external narrative. It is a visual marker for the reader, which is why many publishing houses like that style. There is no right or wrong, but that is why it's better to check when targeting publishers. And of course, once you've decided how you want to convey internal thoughts, just remain consistent.

[quote=neil]bill wrote: Quote marks and/or italics is just CLUTTER methinks.

On the contrary, many publishers like this style. Rather than clutter narrative, it can enhance it.

neil wrote:Who are these 'houses' whose 'style' demands this unnecessary d
  • [quote=Carol]I'm sure Melina can clarify.[/quote]

Clarify what?

The name of Baggy's motorbike?
  • Neil asked who who these houses were and whose style demands.

Melina answered in the post just before yours. :)
  • Oh right.

*revs up m-m-m-my motorbike and leaves this thread*