Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers' Retreat in Devon,

edited October 2013 in - Resources
Hello All -

I am new to the forum, but hope to make the right impressions here. I have been writing for a few years now (unpub'd so far - who knows what the future holds?) and managing a B&B in Devon. As the winter months are very quiet, we thought it would be a good idea to fill the rooms with budding writers, and experienced keyboard-mashers who need a little time out to finish works, or get the inspiration for new ones.

Thus, the Kelly House writers' retreats were born. The house is usually a three bedroom luxury B&B, but for selected weeks over the winter we are hosing the retreats for a maximum of three people. No additional guests, no sharing rooms, just space, peace, food and optional company with like minded creative types.

If anyone is interested, please have a look at the website - http://www.kelly-house.co.uk/index.php/writers-retreat/ - check out the rooms and call or email us to book spaces. Bookings are taken for the full week (Sat - Sat) and all rooms come with cake in the drawing room as standard. Feel free to link to this site to friends and family, if you think a kindly soul would want to book on your behalf, but please note their is no link from the main site to the retreat pages. If our B&B booking agents knew we were offering these prices they may be a little concerned!

Hope to see many of you on the forum, and possibly a few during the retreat weeks!

Chris
(CeeJam)

Comments

• Hi Cee Jam

I like your site. I'm interested in booking something. Could you tell me the nearest mainline railway station to you? I'd pick up a train from Totnes. I don't mind a taxi/bus for a few miles, but would need to do most of the journey by public transport. I can get a bus to Plymouth but I don't think it will help very much.
  • Should have pointed that out! Our very nearest Rail station is Gunnislake, accessed via Plymouth. Bus wise, Lifton is the closest, between Okehampton and Launceston.

We are happy to arrange collection from Gunnislake, Lifton, Launceston or Tavistock if that would help. Public transport near or to our door is not possible. We used to have a bus to/from Tavistock once a week. That was exciting!

CeeJam
  • Might there be an option for non residents to come in for afternoon tea and chat with live in writers?
  • Hi Phots Moll,

That may be an option, but it's something we would have to ask the writers who are resident. The concept is to provide peace, quiet and a break from the everyday life - and hopefully a little inspiration - so that writers can get on with it. There will only be three at a time to convince, so you may well be on to a winner there!

C
  • Should have added - dates and prices are available here:

http://www.kelly-house.co.uk/index.php/writers-retreat/dates/

C