Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mumsnet Competition

edited December 2013 in - Resources
Just wanted to warn fellow writers about the Mumsnet comp in the latest newsletter it sounds great until you look at the T&C - copied and pasted below:

By entering this competition you hereby (a) unconditionally and irrevocably grant and assign to Mumsnet throughout the world in all languages all copyright and rights in the nature of copyright and all other rights in your entry, together with full title guarantee and all rights of action to the same belonging or accrued and shall hold the same to Mumsnet for the full period of copyright and all extensions and renewals thereof and thereafter; (b) waive all moral rights as defined by sections 77-83 of the Copyrights Designs and Patents Act 1988 or any similar laws of any jurisdiction;

Talk about signing your life away!

Comments

• It's always a good idea to read the small print.
  • Just not acceptable.

Thanks for highlighting it Cookie7.
  • Have to say I am rather disgusted with Mumsnet for exploiting 'mums' this way. So many new and unusual parenting books come via this avenue. Not ok to exploit the babies, but fine to target the mum?
    Naughty.
  • Talk about a rights grab. Too many competitions seem to be like that now.
  • It's now at the stage that I look at the t&c's for the rights grab before I look at the rest of the details...
  • It all seems so unnecessary - chances are they won't actually do anything with the work that's submitted, but their T&Cs mean you can't use your own work in any other context.

Totally unacceptable.
  • Agree danfango.

With the digital age there are now more routes to exploit the work, and likewise the writer now has more options.
  • Hmmm, when I saw this I thought it was just a case of them using their standard terms rather than an intentional rights grab. I'm sure that often is the case with these competitions, but Mumsnet seem to be getting a bad reputation for the way they treat writers.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2013/12/the-mumsnet-racketeers/?fb_action_ids=394078190726923&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B561932380558976%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D