Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

UK & US Statistics on Sales (by Genre)

edited January 2014 in - Resources
OK.

I've received a fair amount of criticism from writers on this topic in the past. However, I think it's important (especially if this is your main profession) to understand the demand for certain genres and themes in fiction.

I'm interested in finding out where to learn more about sales statistics and would love to know if anyone has any great resources to share.

I know in the film industry, plots and titles are estimated almost exactly based on their opening sequences etc. For instance a film statistician would know roughly the difference in revenue on opening night from two horrors, one a psychological horror and the other blood and gore.

Many thanks,
Mark Ross

Comments

• I don't recall seeing any statistics comparing genres generally.

I would think that the main problem is that by the time you'd gathered and compiled the data, everything could have moved on and you'd be looking at the past not current demands.

For writers you can look at what is selling well at the moment, but that isn't always going to be what you like or are good at writing.
  • Agree completely. I think for me it's more about seeing what's popular in terms of character arrangements and writing style.

Thanks for your comment :)
  • Every genre has it's standard tropes.
  • Neilson Book Data.

They hold all the statistics to do with book sales, and have charts every week. by genre as well.