Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Oi, poets!

edited April 2014 in Writing
Did that get your attention? Jolly good.
May I point out that there have been precisely two poems in the OWC so far, and we'd like a few more. Well, I would, but then I'm judging the prose.
You've got a week. Jump to it.
Thanks, lovelies.

Comments

• Now I feel obliged to write something so bad you'll wish you never asked!
  • Right that's done. Mwa ha ha ha.
  • Now I'm feeling stressful.

And I can't write when I'm stressful.

But you did get me with your thread title, you naughty little bear!
  • Sorry, but 'appointment' is just not a word that strikes me with poetic intent.
  • Naughty little bear indeed.
  • It rhymes with ointment...
  • And oinkment - we use it for the sick pig.
  • edited April 2014
    Anointment has possibilities. If I were a poet I would find something to anoint. It is a word with regal and poetic charm. There is ample opportunity for a lateral thinker with a talent for verse to create something of lasting poetic value using anointment as a theme..

• You don't have to use the word itself - the concept is acceptable.
    'naughty little bear' - blushes in a furry fashion.
  • edited April 2014
    So Is it appointment or a anointment?
  • Hope it's appointment because that's the word I used as inspiration for my prose entry! :D
  • It rhymes with ointment...
    Yep!

• Ooops, sorry, PM. I wrote that before I saw your poem. :\">
  • that's about the only word it does rhyme with. As Liz says - not a poetically inspiring word, but I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a ditty.
  • On the other hand, how could I hope to top PM's effort?
  • Bill, who is judging poetry, can't get on here at present; he's told he doesn't exist, which is rather worrying for him. Anyway, he asked me to suggest that you can use euphemisms (not that sort) - date, for instance. Use your imaginations! He can read this post, as it's open, so behave yourselves.
  • How about 'waiting'?
  • Someone better write one, or my effort will be third and that'll bring the entire site, company, poetry, writing in general and the entire English language into disrepute. You don't want to be responsible for that, do you?
  • I'll write a poem, PM, although my uncultured doggerel is unlikely to threaten your third place :-q
  • How about 'waiting'?
    If it's for an appointment, why not?

• That's it, Snaily. There's nothing like an optimistic spirit!
  • Okay - you asked for it - I've written one too. If Snail writes on too that should be enough to lease Madame Bear!
  • Golly! That was close!
    I nearly posted my poem without a vital comma - Baggy would have had me for dinner!
  • Tasty Lizy!
  • Only for an appointment with food, MrsB. And not human.
  • I've dug up an old poem which I might post - if I can find Liz's explanation of how to do italics. Something to do with <>...
  • No. What was that thread called?
  • Found it back in February. Not my best work, I'm afraid. I am just helping out the thread!
  • As there now seems to be a flurry of activity by proper poets I shall cease work upon my pitiful offering. ~O)
  • You can't! You promised!
  • I lied. :\">
  • Oh, come on, sm. I don't want to be the only bottom-of-the-barrel-scraper... not that I'm suggesting you would be joining me in that category, I hasten to add. I was/am looking forward to reading one of your humorous offerings.

I shall sit here with my legs crossed and arms folded until you post.

If I die of starvation, on your cycle helmet be it.
  • Is that the equivalent of Violet Elizabeth Bott's 'I'll thcream and thcream and thcream till I'm sick'?
    I'm not even looking at any of the offerings until judging day, and poetry being Bill's department (and he's not going to thank me, is he?) you can do your worst! Go on, SM, pedal something out!
  • ReCycle somefing?
  • Thank you, Mrs Bear, for rallying the troops!
    Yea, Appointment was a poor choice [by me] for poetic inspiration. DATE might help. You have all been on a date...surely.
    It may be that some of you have used that idea. Haven't read the thread yet.
  • I don't think it's a poor choice. There are lots of different types of appointment - with a doctor, hairdresser, destiny or death. Then there's the 'by royal appointment' take and the 'well appointed house' version. An appointment can also be a person's job or position.
  • Tasty Lizy!
    Who's been talking? I'll bloody kill him!

• Sneaks away and whistles.....