Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Character descriptions

edited April 2014 in - Writing Problems
I'm just curious, how detailed a description of the characters do you like? Do you like to know everything from their hair and eye colour to their height and bone structure, pretty much down to their inside leg measurement from the get go with a paragraph of description or just subtle hints as to what they might look like, a throwaway comment about their eyes or their hair so that it builds up in your head as you learn what your character is like?

Comments

• Definitely the latter. Too much description takes me out of the story.
  • Any combination of all of the above.

Personally I feel it depends on the story.

Now this is just my view, so take it as such.

If I have a reason for describing with more than a casual, in passing comment about some feature/s, then it would be because it's getting a specific image or impression over for a good reason- for example, you want to induce fear in the character/reader faced with them, or it is vital you get that into the readers mind for later.

Normally I'm a drip-feed type- a few specifics to give the reader an impression, but not so precise they can't imagine for themselves, and put it together as they go along.

• I answered as a reader, but looking again at the question I think you were asking for authors' opinions. I want to know everything (except in a short story where it doesn't matter) but would definitely drip feed the reader.
  • Either to be honest OLG, I know everything about my characters even if it never appears in the story, but I tend to drip feed. As a reader I find it very distracting if there is suddenly a chunk of description.
  • I agree. As a reader, you're there to enjoy the ride. Having to assimilate a chunk of description holds you back. personally, I don't want all the details - just enough to create my own version of the character with the important aspects made evident in some way.
  • When I'm reading, I don't want too much description of the character's looks, but I do want what there is to come early on. I hate imagining her with long blonde hair and then in chapter 3 learn it's short and red, for example.
  • Good point, PM. Yes, I've been caught out like that and it's unsettling to think you've subsequently got to create a different image.
  • To stop the flow and say, 'right, here is the character's physical description from top to toe' always strikes me as amateurish. We should be able to see them in our mind's eye, not have them stuck in front of us like targets in a shooting gallery!
  • What Phots Moll said.
  • Hair eyes anything important gets dropped in early in mine.
  • If I see a detailed description of a character I read no further. I’m curious where this idea comes from, the need to give detailed descriptions; hair, teeth, height, clothes, square jawed and steely eyed. It is unnecessary.
    Does anyone actually remember these descriptions? Do people actually flip back through the pages to remind themselves of his hair colour?
    We have a huge data base in our brains from our experience, a few well chosen words should evoke a ’type’, and we fill in the details ourselves. I have listened to The Archers on and off for years and have a clear picture of what the characters look like. There are no descriptions on radio. Even though the actots sometimes appear in magazines or on television it doesn’t change my mental image of the character.
    The best writing does not contain such detailed descriptions. I recently read ‘Hills Like White Elephants’ a short story by Hemingway. The characters are not described. Only once does he give a name to one of the characters. I have a clear picture of the two characters and their location.
    A story by Doris Lessing [or Katherine Mansfield, not sure] where two people, a man and a woman, arrive at a station from different places. They are both changing trains. They travel on the same train until the next change and go their separate ways. They have a conversation on the train. I have a clear picture of them. The writer says ‘her’ ‘him’ ‘she’ ‘he’ no description, age, colour, nationality.

The Sunday Times Short Story winner - no description of the characters.

http://www.esquire.com/fiction/nirvana-adam-johnson

As some have suggested, drip bits in if necessary, and obviously if important [plot or other] some hint about social status or age group.

“hi, I’m Joshua Pennington Page.”
    “Blimey, you would’ve been beaten up at my school, mate.”

I think you’d form an opinion about those characters before you read further.

There’s a guy called Dave who fixes cars.

There’s a man called David who is a solicitor.

I wouldn’t need a detailed description about their eyes or hair to get a picture of ‘Dave’ or David.
  • Yeah, Bill!

Well said.
  • edited April 2014
    Isn't this all about the issue of "show don't tell?".

Plain blatant blow by blow description is a turn off. Character traits etc should come out in the actions and dialogue. Give the reader the opportunity to 'bring something' to the reading experience.
  • I think it depends on what type of book your writing. In a Romance the characters descriptions are fairly important. I don't think it's so important if it's a detective story. It's the character's intelligence that counts. Naturally the villan needs to be unattractive.
    Hope this makes sense.
  • a villain in romantic fiction is likely to be attractive, wouldn't he?
  • I try to ensure any description I give is relevant to the story. In the one I'm writing at the moment, I mention that the barmaid flicks her head to get her fringe out of her eyes. It's a trait my protagonist finds endearing, but I don't say what colour her hair is because it makes no difference to the story. All the reader needs to know is that her hair is long enough to get in her eyes, not whether it's straight or curly or dyed bright green.

I think if you have a plot point late in the book that relied on a character being particularly short (John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" springs to mind), or hugely overweight, or having incredibly long hair, you really need to get that in as soon as possible after he or she is introduced. Otherwise, as Phots-Moll says, you get wrenched out of the story when it suddenly becomes important and totally wrecks your mental image of the character.

You also have to stay true to your viewpoint character, if that's the way you're writing it. So a young man might notice more about the way a woman close to his age looks, but barely register a pensioner. Or a police officer might pay more attention to the way somebody's jacket hangs if they think he's concealing a weapon.

My rule of thumb is to imagine you're sending your reader into a crowded room to find your character. What's the minimum amount of information you need to give them to ensure they identify the right person?
  • I like to be given enough detail to form a rough idea of a character, but hair colour etc isn't necessary immediately.
    When I write, I drip feed those things in later if the character stays in the story long enough.
  • And, how much description depends whether you are in novel mode or short story mode - differing disciplines
  • edited April 2014
    a villain in romantic fiction is likely to be attractive, wouldn't he?
    Not necessarily.
    As long as the reader can understand why they are unpleasant. A nasty soul is still nasty whether they're attractive or not.

Even the hero doesn't have to be all out attractive. Scarred heroes are popular in some quarters...

• And, how much description depends whether you are in novel mode or short story mode - differing disciplines
    So true - I was going to add that to my own comment but got side-tracked!

• Hi lizy ido the drip feeding thing - sometimes keep descriptions really brief if the character is only popping in and out of the narrative eg she was an attractive brunette or he had sunken watery grey eyes that stared at me intensely for a moment before...that kind of idea - if it's a main character I'll do the drip feed thing otherwise you are in danger of boring the reader to death with details and take away their imagination - if u read some self-published authors that haven't used a decent editor you'll see this happening
  • Just a thought…
    Those who still cling to the belief that physical description is necessary, write something from 1st POV of a blind person.
    No need to speculate on how/if permanently blind people form images, if we write from pov of blind person readers will create images, just as they do when listening to radio drama. Just write what you hear. Useful exercise.
  • I skip character descriptions that are "info dumped" mostly because by the time most writers drop this in I've already created some mental image of the character, usually because the imagery has been given through other clues.
  • Agree, I don't tend to describe my characters much at all when I'm writing fiction. And when I'm writing plays there's no point as any actor could be playing them!
  • when I'm writing plays there's no point as any actor could be playing them!
    As a non-acting member of an amateur dramatic society I am currently trying to write a play (time being my enemy). Having noticed that male characters are sometimes played by women because of the ratio of female to male members, I've deliberately given some characters unisex names (e.g. Alex) so they can be played by a man or a woman.

• I like to have a picture in my head of the person I'm creating but tend not to make it so detailed that the detail gets in the way if you know what I mean. A few physical traits but I focus more on what's in their minds.
  • edited August 2014
    My own two pennies... I like to drop a couple of pertinent details about a character that reveal hints of personality (i.e. if the character is a nervous and somewhat studious type I might mention them fiddling with their glasses - if they wear them - or biting their nails or something.) I would only describe hairstyles or clothing if that too gave some hints about the character's job or personality (i.e. wearing a long white coat would indicate a doctor or scientist, wearing clothes that were visibly too tight would hint at size/weight issues the character is unwilling to face up to.)

And if there's something about their appearance that marks them out as different from the 'average' person - or perhaps a better way of saying it is 'not the assumed norm in fiction' (i.e. in my current w-i-p I have a young and rather nerdy computer scientist who is also black*) - I do think you need to mention that at the first opportunity. Readers do form pictures in their heads of characters as they go, and while they're not likely to get too annoyed about finding out a character has brown eyes instead of the blue they'd pictured, they'll be thrown for a loop if the character they'd pictured as being tall, lean and athletic-looking turns out two-thirds of the way through the story to be short, balding and built like an oompa-loompa. A lot like dating, really. :)

*Apologies if 'black' is not the politically-correct term - I'm finding it hard to keep up with that, to be honest. 'Person of colour' sounds strange to me - like they've been painted or something - and I didn't want to use the term 'African-American' for my character because he's never been anywhere near Africa in his life. My eight-year-old son uses 'brown' for his friends at school - but I didn't want to sound like an eight-year-old either. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all up for that! :D
  • My black friends call themselves black so why shouldn't we?
    anything else sounds twee and/or pretentious to me.

As long as 'black' isn''t accompanied by an insult, what's wrong with the word? Some Politically Correct stuff is just that - Stuff and Nonsense.

(End of rant!)