Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do I get rid of 'New Tab' when accessing a website?

I'm getting fed up with my silly computer deciding I want 'New Tab' (which has buttons for umpteen things I don't use), instead of getting me to a website I do want.

When I read Writing Magazine and see details of an interesting website, I add it to a file, then just have to click and access. Well, that was until about a fortnight ago, when I only get this 'New Tab' thing, and can't get anything else!

Frustrating.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the wretched thing, please. Love you very much!

Juliet

Comments

• Hello, Juliet.

Which browser are you using?
  • Mine does that sometimes - I assumed it was me pressing the wrong button!
  • Putting on my computer fault diagnosis hat (which is easy - it's my job, so I seldom take it off): if it worked until two weeks ago and now doesn't, the first question to ask is "What changed".

Unfortunately, modern computers are very good at updating software without the user's intervention or even knowledge. Check the browser information and see what date is on it. I've just checked my version of Chrome - it tells me the version number but not the date. If you're using Chrome you may need to Google the version number to see if it was only released recently.

You add websites to a file. A wordprocessor file? Same routine: check your wordprocessor and see if it was updated a couple of weeks ago.

If browser and wordprocessor have not changed, try a different browser.

• edited June 2014
  • Thanks guys.

I'm using Word 2010, and wish it was as easy as the old version. Google Chrome opens the New Tab. Thanks for your advice.

I think I was born 100 years too late - I far prefer good old-fashioned pen and paper!

Keep smiling.
    Juliet
  • Word 2010! The spawn of the devil! I have to use it for work and thoroughly hate it. How can a company that keeps making its software more and more user unfriendly be so successful? Unfortunately, as a Mac user, I have to admit that I could just as easily be talking about Apple.
  • I suffered enough when I had to upgrade to Word 2007, and I've heard dreadful reports of both 2010 and Office.
    Now I'm used to the one I've got I hope to stick to it.

Reactionary? Moi?
  • You think you're reactionary? Repeated changes to Apple's Pages wordprocessor pushed me over the edge. I bought a copy of VirtualAcorn for my MacBook so I could run an old user-friendly word processor on both my Macs.
  • Does it do everything that Word for Mac and Pages do, OLG?

Word drives me mad. I find Pages ok, but there's a couple of things it doesn't do.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks to Onlinegenie and Lizy for your support. I've just uninstalled Google Chrome (can't remember installing it, and don't know what it's for) and the stupid 'New Tab' has gone! I can actually get to the websites I want now instead of pleading with the god of technology to be merciful.

Love you guys.

Keep smiling.

Juliet
  • Liz, it almost certainly doesn't do everything that more powerful wordprocessors do, but it's very unusual for me to think "I wish Techwriter could do xxx". Almost all my (personal) wordprocessing is done in Techwriter. The exceptions are:

1. Fiction writing. I prefer Scrivener.

2. Pages files that I've created on my iPad (usually a list of holiday photographs).

3. One of my web design clients sends me a batch of files for his website every month. They're in Word format and I load them into Libreoffice to check the contents - I find Libreoffice deals with Word documents better than Pages does.