Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Matters editorial

edited July 2014 in Writing
My favourite competition people have branched out and are advertising their services. Would you send (and pay for) a manuscript to be evaluated here?

"Manuscript Evaluation Service Special Offer

28th and 29th July.

£65.00

Finished writing your manuscript? Are you tentatively pouring over all of those words and wondering just how good your novel is? When you have laboured intensively over thousands of words, and have tried to create characters that stand out, along with a solid plot which you hope is a real page turner, it's important to ensure your words are polished to perfection. But how do you really know how good it is?"

Or would you like your book publicised by them (in due course)?

"We will add your name to a list, compile a list of questions and submit by email in due course and you can complete at your leisure. If you have contacted us already, please be patient while we create our list, we will be in touch in due course."
Tagged:

Comments

• Probably not the best people to help a writer cut out repetitions.

• I don't advise pouring anything over your words, either - ruins the manuscript.
  • In due course, I hope they get those statements edited... in due course.

Pouring? Shocking.

I think a full stop is in order rather than the last comma, too.

Are you brave enough to write to them, Mrs Bear?
  • I would. I regularly pee people off with an email.
  • *cowers*
  • These are the people whose winning entries all seem to be written by the same person - yes, they are still at it. The same punctuation errors (commas where full stops or semi colons should be are a speciality) occur throughout, and the voice is the same. I'll definitely send them a mail.
  • It gets better:

"Our evaluation service is incredibly popular, we have authors coming back to us time and time again. We have helped authors worldwide to achieve their dreams of publication and we know that we can help you. We provide a high-quality and in-depth evaluation that highlights any areas of development. We provide a nurturing service providing clear and informed advice. Our service is provided by authors and editors for authors, published or not, and we care passionately about the written word. We can help you to avoid those horrible rejections or, avoid receiving detrimental feedback against your book once published digitally."

And the price for all this provision?

"For two days only, we are reducing the cost of our service and slashing the price: Usually £110.00, the revised price will be – £65.00 if purchased on Sunday 27th or Monday 28th July.

From August 1st, there will be a price increase to £120.00."

Don't all rush at once.
  • They need a good editor themselves...
  • edited July 2014
    Yes, and they're charging £120 for this, Carol! (They're based in France, but are paid in £s.)
    I've emailed them, quoting the above errors in full.
  • Automated response received, 15th July:

'Thank you for contacting C- Publishing - home of the C-C-
    We are now out of the office until Wednesday 16th June.
    Please consider this message a receipt of entry for writing competitions.
    For the latest articles, writing courses, competitions and author services, check out (website)
    We have everything a writer could need.'

Hm. Everything? Are they sure about that?

• Out of the office full time by the date quoted, 16th June!
  • Brilliant!
  • My mind is truly boggled. [-(
  • At least it gave us a laugh, Mrs Bear :D
  • We can help you to avoid those horrible rejections
    Er, no they can't. Not even if they live up to all their other claims. Even work of publishable standard can, and does, get rejected.

About half of my acceptances are for stories already rejected by a different market and we've all heard how JKR etc collected multiple rejections before going on to make a fortune from their books.

• I however can ensure you never ever get rejected and it'll only cost you £5 a time. Just send your sub straight to me and I'll delete/shred as appropriate.

You can pay by cheque, paypal, direct transfer, cash left on my doorstep ...
  • I had a reply this morning:

'I am sorry that you are unhappy with the newsletter. I stood in for the editor as she was away at the last moment. I wrote those pieces myself while fighting a deadline, it does not however, reflect upon the usual high standard or the hard work that this company or the editor provides.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and would always appreciate a 'gentle nudge' if a mistake is found.

I take your comments on board and will remove your name from the list immediately so that you do not receive any further correspondence from us.

Best wishes,

Alexandra'

Still making the same punctuation error, even in the apology. Well, that's me cast off for daring to complain! Shame (but not mine).

• 'Fighting a deadline' - very dramatic, I don't think I've ever fought a deadline in my life - the deadline isn't going to move no matter how much you punch, kick, gouge and generally knock seven bells out of it - the deadline is set - in fact instead of fighting with the damn thing surely you'd just be better writing the editorial. All that fighting just wastes time.

I'm sure Helen (Baggy Books) could give some guidance but even if they could achieve what they claim (which they can't) for £65 - I don't think so - if it looks too good to be true - sadly it usually is.
  • Who was it who said they loved deadlines? They loved the whooshing noise they made as they flew past. Can't recall who said it but very true.