Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Using clip-art in books?

edited July 2014 in Writing
I am wondering if there are any restrictions in using clip-art in any publications. I only need some small pieces to go at the top or bottom of some poems and when I have done my first (rough) version for myself I inserted clip-art as an idea of what I was looking for before finding someone to do the artwork. However they look rather good as they are. Is there a problem or copyright issues with this or any issues I haven't thought about with this do you think? Any thoughts welcomed. :)

Comments

• It depends on the source. In the case of Microsoft/Office clipart I think (not 100% sure) that you can only use it for personal, non-commercial use.
  • I thought there probably would be restrictions. Back to the drawing board, literally! ;)
  • A lot of the stock art sites have clip art that you can use in books. A bit expensive, I suppose, unless you buy a subscription, but it is an option.
  • Yes, it's worth looking at. Thanks.
  • yes Microsoft list varies restrictions. You are ok to use it on your business card but not in something you are selling.
  • Thank you Mutley, that is good to know. :)
  • Yes, I'm glad I read this thread. Thanks, all. I've been getting a poetry book for children ready and had included some clip-art.

Back to the drawing board...
  • Yes, I thought I'd found an easy option too Tiny Nell. lol