Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

First readers - short story

edited July 2014 in Writing
Hope everyone's enjoying the summer so far (or winter on the other side of the world). I haven't said a lot round here lately; I've been working on several short stories and a novel. Keeping me out of trouble while I'm still out of work. One of the short stories I'd like to submit somewhere else soon. First rejection came back and I've been tweaking. But I would really appreciate if a couple of you wonderful folk would be interested in taking a look at it. Perhaps someone who reads/writes speculative fiction and someone who doesn't, just for balance. If anyone's willing please let me know with an email address in PM. I would be eternally grateful. It's 2,800 words.

Comments

• All the best with your story. I hope you find a slot for it.
  • Happy to help a fellow writers. [email protected]
  • Thanks, Stan. I'm determined to have a professional market accept my work soon.

Thanks, Toothlight. I'll zap it over in a minute.

I will also return the favour if anyone has a short story they want going over with another set of eyes. A couple at the most, though. :-B
  • As I have no idea what speculative fiction is, I probably don't write it, so if you want a different opinion you can send it to me at [email protected]
  • Spec fiction = fantasy, horror, SF (science fiction), etc.

And thanks :-*
  • Do you still want another beta reader, Tristram?
  • Yes please, Mr Robots. I did want a reader who deals in spec fiction, so I'll take your offer as the final one. Let me know your email address and I'll send you a copy. Many thanks.
  • Sorry, forgot all about this thread! Crap memory.

[email protected] if you still want me to have a look.
  • I have finally sent this story for submission, after going through several versions! Can't believe how long it's taken me. Thank you to those who gave feedback :)
  • edited October 2014
    Good luck with it TS. It's a good'un whichever version you use!
  • Good luck.
  • Good luck, Tristram! And sorry if I didn't get around to returning feedback. Memory like a sieve, so I can't remember if I forgot to give feedback or forgot that I already did :S
  • Thanks for luck wishes. Lizy, I'm glad you liked the last version you read - and I can't remember how different the final one is!

BR, I didn't get feedback, but don't worry I'm sure it's just a short circuit in the RAM :)

One thing if it does get published, unless you're a member of the British Fantasy Society (or I get it published somewhere else, as I retain all rights), then you won't get to read it in the lovely BFS Journal.