Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

are you a Bad writer but don't know it?

edited July 2014 in Writing
I have a friend who has written a fantasy series and been self published in the past but when I saw a copy of the book it was so badly written, even though he paid, they offered no editing services. Now some 10 years later the book has again reared its head but this time they put it on Create Space, part of Amazon, this is really the same they offer to do a cover design for you at cost, then you upload your book in PDF format, but it offers no form of proof reading or editing service.
if this is the case how many badly written books are out there?
I can see now how some peoples work not only gets rejection but why some self publishing companies have become popular.
I don't claim to be a great writer but I have now been offered a contract with an advance paid.
I was very weary on submitting my work for fear of it being bad grammar and inconsistency in my work.
I then discover that I could have my book proof read at great expense and my work might still be rejected.
After much research on forums and google you could buy a program that would help me understand how I write.
so I purchased the program that works along side office word 2010 well it gives 19 reports. I was shocked at how this could improve my writing skills (was going to say what bad writer I was but now published thought better of it ).
my first book was sent to 17 publishers many months later, 2 offers of a contract, my book is due for release in early 2015.
what happened to my friend you ask? he also purchased the software but did not like being told his writing was bad so never used it. as it can be time consuming.
the friend has now opted to yet again self publish as a cost.

Comments

• No, I'm not.
  • I'm guessing people don't know that they don't know.
  • Don't know. Could be.
  • I think it might be a mistake to rely too heavily on software. It can only do so much, and if a writer doesn't understand the underlying principles of grammar then they'll never be sure whether the software is doing the "correcting" correctly or not. It's much better to take the time to learn how and why words fit together the way they do - whether through a dedicated book or course, or just reading many published works and paying close attention to how everything plays its part in achieving the effect the author desired.
  • I think it might be a mistake to rely too heavily on software. It can only do so much, and if a writer doesn't understand the underlying principles of grammar then they'll never be sure whether the software is doing the "correcting" correctly or not. It's much better to take the time to learn how and why words fit together the way they do - whether through a dedicated book or course, or just reading many published works and paying close attention to how everything plays its part in achieving the effect the author desired.
    I do agree it what you say but,I personal found the software made me aware of how I write, sometime you can write how you talk and that is not always a good thing to do, the program made me aware of silly things like inconsistencies, starting a sentence with the same word, sentence length reports, over use of words. it is not about correct grammar as each writer has his or her style.
    but it does make you aware of how to improve you writing style. many thanks for the input Danfango
  • Im' not. i rites proper i does and i got a labtop and everyfing so its got to bee oh kay
  • :)

Sadly there will always be people who think they can write, and will be taken advantage of.
  • Oh there are days when I'm an awful writer - good thing is I can recognise when something I've written is awful, usually the bad smell coming from the page alerts me - either that or my wee one needs her nappy changed.
  • edited July 2014
    Well it is 4am and have just got the urge to write so just made a cup of tea and going to settle in, allycat well done you have your very own labtop and you can write proper,perhaps now you might be able to give some proper input.
    Oh So true Carol there is always people who will take advantage of others, but thankfully in forums like this, there are people who have a passion to share advice for those who need it. well happy Friday its the start of the week-end.
  • edited July 2014
    , allycat well done you have your very own labtop and you can write proper,perhaps now you might be able to give some proper input.
    Just a tip, H_A, a sense of humour comes in handy on Talkback.
    I'm guessing people don't know that they don't know.
    I've known for years.

• Thank you Snailmale, I do have one hidden away :)>-
  • Ah, but do you know what it was you didn't know, Snailmale?

I'm not keen on writing software either. Even spell cheque can be a cat's trophy in the wrong hands.
  • I'm a dreadful writer on my first draft of owt. It improves as I go along (I hope).
  • I try to write badly without realising it at least once per new project. Sometimes a story comes out pretty bad (or pretty good, which is bad dressed up in fancy clothing), which isn't bad enough and sticks out like a swollen thumb, and I'm just not satisfied.

Clearly, after two of the reader responses to the third draft of my latest short story, I've succeeded in reaching my goal. I can now happily get down to the business of smacking myself round the head with my copy of the "Big Compendium of Obviously Dreadful Literature and Things That Just Don't Work but You Knew That Didn't You" until all the good stuff comes out.
  • I found that the software made me aware of how I write,rather than using it for spelling, you can always try it our for free,it is called ProWritingAid
  • Well done on the publishing contract, Happy Author. May I ask which publisher you have signed with?
  • I believe he said on another thread that he's with Austin Macauley.
  • edited July 2014
    Oh, right.

I don't think I've come across bad writers here on TB. If you look at the standard of work on the OWC, I think you'll see that everyone on this forum has a good grasp of grammar and spelling. We also have our very own proofreader who comes with glowing reports and excellent rates.

Take a bow, Baggy.

The beauty of a forum such as this is that when any of us has a writing/editing query, we throw it out there and get lots of positive feedback from the group. There's a lot of expertise here - and it's all free!!!
  • edited July 2014
    Thank you Tina Nell yes it was Austin Macauley I also had another offer but decide Austin Macauley, its a long story, Thank you Casey for the update
  • I've expressed some doubts about the motives behind this, and another thread, elsewhere. Just hoping I'm right.
  • HA, you might want to check out this link:
    http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/thumbs-down-publishers/
    Go in with your eyes open, and take care.
  • Hi Eddisbury, Thank for the link, however this discussion was covered in an older link,posted by M.welshman.
    I was lucky I had 2 contract offers and I choose AM it is a very long story how and why. but my contract was not self publishing. I was paid a small advance. but great to see you show concern :)
  • Enough professionals and others have told me I'm a good writer for me to feel fairly confident in my abilities.
    Sometimes, of course, I'm appalling, but then we're all susceptible to off days.
    :-&
  • Hey, Lizzy, off days that's most of the time, trying to get by brain to work in temperatures of 35 plus #:-S
  • Me too - in Tenerife - although we've had a coolish weekend. Bliss!
  • So hot the other night, I post on here at 4am,the forum must have thought I was a automatic spam-bot from Russia, or China.