Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rejection letters/emails

2»

Comments

• One day, they will regret not having taken you on. :)

(((Lizy)))
  • "Extensive consideration" - is this the latest catch-phrase?
    Still, at least they bothered to reply, even if it did take them six months!

I've got one more sub out for this book, sent 29/5, and 3 other February ones who I think aren't botheritng, so once our visitors have gone I shall have to get out the magnifying glass and peruse the list of agents AGAIN.
    :-B o-> ~X(
  • Awww, Lizy. Their loss.

Have you thought of going directly to publishers instead?
  • A recent and helpful indirect critique on my writing was by someone who read a story of mine on line. They seemed to enjoy the story, but commented that they could only find chapters 1 to 11 on my blog. The story ended at chapter 11. I obviously need to work on the arc of the story or write a better ending.
  • Awww, Lizy. Their loss.

Have you thought of going directly to publishers instead?
    I thought publishers usually use agents as a filter - how does one start approaching them? Esp if they say 'no un-agented submissions considered'?

• Well, you can't target those, but if you go through The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, you'll see those that don't. Sifting through is one of my aims... eventually. The submission process is generally the same - 3 chapters, a synopsis and a covering letter. You may find odd little differences when you check their guidelines - and you can double check on websites, too.
  • I always double check - sometimes triple - but I've not done the publishers yet.
    *girds loins for next round*
  • *cracks whip*

Onward and upward. Good luck!

(Don't forget self-publishing as another option)
  • If someone enjoys your story liz, someone else will publish it, I am certain. Agents are fussier than publishers.