Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Title implications of combining a book/sequel

edited July 2014 in Writing
I am in the process of combining a children's book and its sequel into one bumper paperback. The books have similar titles and I need to show both on the cover. However, I am unsure how I should do this.

The individual titles are:

Mr Charlie Chumpkins
The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should approach the wording?

Thanks, TBers!

Comments

• How about calling it something like

'Mr Charlie Chumpkins - Complete'

and having the two original covers (smaller) at jaunty angles, possibly overlapping, on the new cover?

(I could draw you a picture but then I couldn't upload it!)
  • Ah, a challenge!
  • Mr Charlie Chumpkins
    and
    The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins?
  • good old fashioned the (Adventures of Charlie Chumpkins) any further books keep as the main name but name the adventure.
  • The Charlie Champkins Omnibus!
  • Charlie Chumpkins - Mishaps and More Mishaps?

Divide the cover diagonally with the combined title as the diagonal line.

• I've been fiddling around. I haven't tried to combine both cover designs yet. I'd like to, but not sure if I can. I'll leave that idea on the backburner.

I can't really create a new all-encompassing title as they already exist independently as kindle books in their own rights. I'd hate for someone to buy it thinking it was a third book then finding the inside identical to what they already have.

I think I'll just take the original cover illustration of the first and quite simply, as PM suggests, include both titles with an 'and' between them.
  • edited July 2014
    Just had a look at the covers because of the design it would be easy to incorporate both designs on the front if you had them diagonal from corner to corner as the paper boat would sit well on the bottom half as it is the newer book, keeping the balloons in the top corner as the second book as the boat is further at the top of the page this would still leave room for the title. that way people would know it is the two books combined and not a third book, hope this makes sense.
  • Or even the 'Charlie Chumpkins Adventures'
  • Yes, HA, perfect sense. Just don't know if I have the skills to do it!

I can't really change the title, Carol as the two books already exist separately.