Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Italics

edited July 2014 in Writing
If you used italics for pizza names, e.g. 'Four Seasons', 'Margherita', etc, would you also use them for 'Pepperoni'? That is a meat name rather than a poetic description, if you see what I mean!

Comments

• I would use italics for foreign words (piazza - square and gelato - ice cream)

Is Pepperoni even Italian?!

• Is Pepperoni even Italian?!
    I believe it means pepper or chilli in Italian, rather than referring to the meat.
  • Just typed it into a translator. Interesting result.
  • I thought I should use italics for brand names. I know they're not quite that, but they are recognised as pizza types.
  • Hmmm wonder why I thought that?

TN, I wouldn't put any of them in italics, but if I did I'd treat them all the same.

• I wouldn't use italics for brand names either.
  • Consider other food - would you use italics for different types? Brand names don't need italics.
  • OK, thanks.
  • edited July 2014

Is Pepperoni even Italian?!
    Sounds like he might be. Not sure which team he rides for.

• edited July 2014
    MENDA LA PUNTURE DI MILANO (Second team)
  • edited July 2014
    pepperoni is a spicy sausage, therefore peppperoni pizza is pizza with pepperoni on it.
    The Spanish equivalent would be chorizo.
    The English don't have an equivalent.

My Italian neighbours speak in italics all the time :~)
  • I wouldn't put pizza names in Italics, any more than Lancashire hotpot (which, obviously, I would put in a straight-sided pot). (With oysters.)
    The English do have smoked preserved sausage, just not the spicy ones, as spices were too expensive when these recipes were being engraved in stone.
  • I've now de-italicised all my pizzas. Thanks, folks!
  • I take the olives off mine. Never had one with italics on it.
  • Anyone else getting hungry?
  • I've allowed them capitals so they're not completely bland.
  • I take the olives off mine. Never had one with italics on it.

I've had one with an Italian draped across. Very tasty.
  • More details, Liz - and photos if possible!