Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Urgent! Can someone look at this Forward Arts Foundation page and tell me...

LizLiz
edited July 2014 in Writing
.. if my bio look ok, and they can see it all, please?

I can't see the whole shape as my settings are too large, i'd like to know if it fits on a normal page view. It looks too big to me, even making the page smaller.

http://www.forwardartsfoundation.org/poet/liz-brownlee/

Comments

• It looks as though it's on two pages Liz. I looked at the print preview and it said two pages. You also have to scroll down and it's not complete on one page. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, casey, that's what I was worried about - I have a screen the size of a planet and I can always see everything, but this is supposed to be for everyone on every type of computer.

I've asked them to post it smaller.
  • I can see it in one go. Didn't immediately get the significance of the layout, but can see it now.
  • Ooo-er.. doesn't it work? Should I just ask them to have it 'normal'?
  • edited July 2014
    I can see it the lower half if I scroll down a bit, and if I do a print preview it shows it as one page...

I start to see the shape as I scroll down...
  • No, I like it now I can see it's deliberaste. I think it's because you asked if it was OK. I initially thought the formatting had gone awry.

The head's a little squashed though. Would adding 'Poet' above your name work?
  • Have to decrease my zoom to 67% to see the shape on the screen, rather than the 100% I currently use
  • btw, the font is quite big. You could get away with having it smaler which might make the shape fit all on one page for more people.
  • The size of the font is immaterial - it was a Word doc (the correct size font) which I changed into a PDF so I could make it into a jpeg.

Then I opened it in Photoshop and removed the background - so the background colour of the page would show through and make it fit in better.

But then it became a png file - I sent it to them like that, cropped so the bird was only in frame, otherwise the information below it on the page would have been much further away from the bio.

That cropping of the image makes the font in effect bigger than it was. They need to choose a smaller file size for the png file as they post it on the page, to make the font appear smaller again.

That's what I'm asking them to do... it's all so complicated!
  • Ah, right.

It's not that complicated. If they're struggling, can you resize the png and resend?
  • I think any resizing by me would also remove quality - when you post stuff on a website, it's quite easy to make the posting smaller, you just choose a percentage and if that's not right choose again.

Here's hoping! I don't want to appear difficult - wish I'd just done something normal like the other 4 now!
  • And thanks everyone for being so helpful and quick. XXX
  • My laptop has a 13" screen and it doesn't quite fit the whole text shape onscreen. I can see enough of it at once to understand what it is (it's a bird, right?), so I don't think it's a big problem.
  • edited July 2014
    If it's any help, my screen is 800 pixels tall, so if you were going to change it, you'd probably want to resize the image to 500 pixels tall or smaller. Shrinking it shouldn't result in any detectable loss of quality, particularly not if you do it in Photoshop.
  • Thanks, Dan. I'm hoping they ca cope, but if not, I'll send a smaller file. I don't want to send them ANOTHER mail, in case they decide never to have anything to do with me again! It's a massive compliment, being asked for a poem. And for something else, yet to be revealed.
  • Strange layout, but one page for me.
  • Can you not see the bird, HA?
  • No,Liz, I can't see a bird, it seems the writing is misplaced only on the description, the same on Explorer, Firefox and Safari browsers.
  • I'm afraid it's your perception then, HA, as the text is a jpeg, so cannot move, or displace. If you can't see the bird, you won't be able to see shape poems.
  • edited July 2014
    so it is meant to be like this?
    She tells young people.
    all the
    fun facts
    she knows
    about such
    creatures as the see-through frog
    and moth that drinks tears
    I know see it is a jpg when looking at the pages source code.

• edited July 2014
    well this forum does not let me post it how it is. as puts all text in a neat row.
  • I can get the page up for the poem. To Keep in Touch. but what is the bird I am meant to see?
  • If you can't see it, you are one of those people that can't see pictures in things - sorry!
  • I can almost get the whole bird on screen at once, but I'm on a rectangular laptop one, rather than a square monitor one, so maybe it fits better there?
    HA, the poem is the bird - bring up the whole poem, step back and squint a bit. See? Beak, tail, legs...
  • Oh, that sort of a bird. I thought you were talking about Liz.
  • The poem is not a bird. The poem is on another linked page, it is about dolphins... if you'd like to read it.

The bird is my biography.
  • The page I'm looking at has a bird. I suppose it's not a poem, though - it's an introduction to Liz Brownlee. You're right. But it looks like a poem-shaped bird, or bird-shaped poem, only without the poetry.
    I think I'll go away and play with something sharp...
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2014
    *hopes Mrs B is not throwing sharp things at a picture of her*

Do read the poem. It's on a link. I forgot to ask people.
  • Oh Yes! now I see it, I am also writing at the moment so word blind, and working to close to the screen as soon as I leaned back saw it straight away.
  • Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?
    No, it's Super-Liz!!
  • edited July 2014
    OH Lizy, you could not even get out of your drainpipe jeans the other night, don't be shy, spend a few euros and put the aircon on the cold will make them shrink.
  • Liz, if it is any help I am using an iPad and can see down as far as
    Fun. Facts
    on a single page but enough to see it is a shape and a bird at that.
    Scrub that. I had the screen in landscape mode. No probs portrait!
  • Yay! Thanks, Wordy!
  • I have a very, very big computer screen. I can see the wiggly shape of your bio (no bird), but I have to scroll down to see the bottom half.

*is not sure if this is a useful comment*
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2014
    Sigh. Here is a link to a jpeg of the bird bio. You should be able to see a bird shape.
  • Bleepers, it's too big. Will make it smaller.
  • Can you see a bird now?

*wonders if she should contact Forward Arts and tell them certain people cannot read word shapes*
  • Ah, the wiggly shape is a bird.

It's like one of those colour blind tests.

Yes, I see it loud and clear.
  • Thank the word-shape fairies, she's got it!

This is why I wanted it posted smaller.
  • Smaller definitely works. Even now I know it's a bird, it's not obvious when it's large.

As we all know, small is best.
  • *thinks of daughter* Ok.