Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self publishing

edited July 2014 in Writing
Can anyone out there recommend New Generation publishing for self publishing, hey seem very keen on the phone. Has anyone had any experience with this company.
Thanks Philip

Comments

• have you typed in to Google, New Generation Reviews?
    that will tell if any disgruntled authors.
  • Never heard of them, sorry.

As well as Googling as HA suggests, have a look to see if their books are on Amazon and if so how well they seem to be selling and if they're getting good reviews.

• Am I the only one that thinks self publishing should mean actually doing it yourself And if you pay someone to do it then, well, it's not really self publishing? :-?
  • Well I know of one other person who thinks that way.

But then we're too busy writing and marketing to learn the skills to do all those other elements that need to be done. :-B
  • We were talking about self-publishing at my Writers' Group last night. I was astounded to hear that one man had paid £500 and another £90. Why pay anyone when CreateSpace is free?
  • Because there are writers who don't realise they can do it any other way, perhaps.
  • I think they just thought there would be a better outcome. The man who paid £90 has just about broken even. The other said he'd never pay out that much again. I suspect he was out of pocket.
    I showed them my paperbacks. I think they were surprised by the quality.
  • Do any of your books have any color illustration,or photographs,in them not counting the cover, Tiny Nell?
  • No, HA. They're just text, although one or two contain letters as part of the story. The age-range I write for tends to read books without illustrations, with the exception of 'easy readers' for those children who still struggle with reading.
  • My Travel guide will have loads of photo's in it as well as a hand drawn map in the back. I could not imagine how much that would cost by Createspace of even self publishing.
    I did my research for the travel guide and it will sit well in the market place,even Amazon. as it is rare for just a single person to cover so much ground. I think that was why I had two contract offers in place.
  • My mother-in-law covers a fair bit of ground ... oh, you didn't mean like that!
  • Hmm, PM do not know what you mean =))
  • My Travel guide will have loads of photo's in it as well as a hand drawn map in the back. I could not imagine how much that would cost by Createspace
    It would cost absolutely nothing.

• edited August 2014
    so create space let you insert many color photo's and no charge think not, TN. unless I am mistaken.
    https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/#content7
    Createspace do not publish color photo's for free, please show me a link if they do and I am talking minimum 50-60 photo's
  • They have royalty rates for publishing books with no images, black and white images, and colour images. The rates are deducted from your net proceeds - so you do not physically pay them up front. It's definitely worth looking at. I have clients who have used it.

Images need to be a minimum of 300 DPI - but that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Thank you Baggy, for me I hope never to have to go down the self publishing road. but wish all those that do great success at it.