Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Looking for imaginative people to write an animal story

edited July 2014 in Writing
Hello.
I am an artist who spent a year making 114 drawings of different animals.
ellaanimals.com

I am now looking for 114 people to take one of these animals and write a story about them.
The aim of this is to create a collaborative collection of animals stories that will bring people lots of joy.

If you would like to write a story and be part of this menagerie, please let me know, and you might receive an animal.

[email protected]
Tagged:

Comments

• What about a poem? (I am a wildlife poet.)

Great pictures, by the way!

It would have to be an animal i haven't done yet...
  • edited July 2014
    Are you looking for children's stories? Asking because you've given the animals names...
    Your website gives minimal information, apart from the drawings (very nice by the way).
    I have written quite a few wildlife stories so this is an area that interests me, but I'd like to know a bit more about you and what sort of collaboration you envisage.
  • Hello, not necessarily children's stories. Stories for all ages.
    They have names as a starting point, and then I am inviting people to create words which help reveal their hidden characters.

I have been doing it for the past year or so. I currently have 39 pieces back from people and they range from poems, verses, recipes, short stories. They will be lovely when pulled together as a collection.

I am also involving children in making the stories, as well as lots of other people from across the world who are interested. I am always looking for people who are keen.

If you would like me to send you one, just drop me an email.
    If you're story becomes part of the collection, you will be referenced as the animals owner and author and I will send you a copy of all the stories together.

Hopefully I will get it finished by the end of the year.

Ella
  • Thanks for your reply, Ella - but a couple more questions so I don't waste your time if this doesn't sound like it's for me:

- you say they have names as a starting point, and you're inviting people to create words to reveal their hidden characters... are you looking for purely fictional, 'cute' stories written from the animal's viewpoint and/or 'humanising' the animal?

- you say the author of the story will be 'referenced' and receive a copy of the collection. Does that mean you aren't offering royalties? Who will keep any profits from the book?
  • The stories can be either one of those two approaches. Or somewhere between the two. The drawing and the name are the starting point.
    Everyone involved will be co-authors, but there will be no royalties.
    I am not sure at the moment how the collection will be used. i'm hoping to get some funding so i can make the books and give them away to everyone involved.
    No worries at all if you don't want to contribute. Its just something for people who want to have a go. and want to have an animal.
  • When you say 'name', do you mean the name of the animal (actual name) or a name like 'Rodney'?
  • Does the writer keep their copyright? What rights will you be wanting?
  • Have you considered keeping the project online, Ella? Visitors could click on an animal and read the story associated with them. No publishing costs and no worries about royalties but lots of enjoyment.
  • I am going to contact you and see if we can work together, and it's NOT the money I'm after....found out the hard way most authors don't make much.

• - you say the author of the story will be 'referenced' and receive a copy of the collection. Does that mean you aren't offering royalties? Who will keep any profits from the book?
    Does the writer keep their copyright? What rights will you be wanting?
    I am going to contact you and see if we can work together, and it's NOT the money I'm after....
    Not sure if you're having a bit of a pop at us, Toothlight for asking about royalties and rights. Just the way you have capitalised 'NOT' makes me wonder - as if you think we're being greedy or something?

If you're happy to offer your work for free to a total stranger who may profit from it, that is your prerogative. Personally, I only give my work away if I know the profits are going to charity these days - and even then, I don't give away my copyright.
  • The stories can be either one of those two approaches. Or somewhere between the two. The drawing and the name are the starting point.
    Everyone involved will be co-authors, but there will be no royalties.
    I am not sure at the moment how the collection will be used. i'm hoping to get some funding so i can make the books and give them away to everyone involved.
    No worries at all if you don't want to contribute. Its just something for people who want to have a go. and want to have an animal.
    Hi, ellabritton, I did post on here when I first joined about getting help with publishing, I think if you did it through Kickstarter you would get the sponsors, the program is aimed at projects just like yours, and in return you can offer the sponsors original or limited edition drawings, or even a book as well. the following link show you how many people are being funded for publishing at kickstarter has a section solely for publishing, the cost to you is nothing.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/publishing?ref=category

• Not sure if you're having a bit of a pop at us, Toothlight for asking about royalties and rights. Just the way you have capitalised 'NOT' makes me wonder - as if you think we're being greedy or something?

If you're happy to offer your work for free to a total stranger who may profit from it, that is your prerogative. Personally, I only give my work away if I know the profits are going to charity these days - and even then, I don't give away my copyright.
    Although the type of writing required is not my thing, I do consider that there may be other less knowing writers out there reading this, who don't know the sort of questions they need to ask- not just for this, but other projects.

I'm NOT saying that the poster is trying to take advantage, but sadly there are people out in the world who do and see writers as fodder for making money off.

I have done stuff for free, but I've always kept my copyright and know what rights I'm giving.

Writers incomes have dropped now and every piece of writing has to earn its keep; reuse to get secondary income is an important element nowadays.

If a writer wishes to give their work for free then that's fine. It is their choice and I'm not going to say they shouldn't.

Each writer will have different circumstances and plans for their work. Only they can make that choice.

No one should consider writing for money is wrong, and likewise no one should consider writing for free is wrong either.

• I think Ella has made her position quite clear as to what this project is about. and it's not profits, it's fun. I'm very happy with that.
  • Sorry if my post gave the wrong impression, because I wasn't expecting financial reward, and have written articles for many magazines for no payment, just because I believed in what they were trying to achieve. One recent example being a dental book called "Messages from Dental Masters," and I was invited to write a chapter on a topic of my choosing. I felt honoured to have been asked, considering the quality of the other authors. All profits were for charity, but I get a buzz seeing my name on that list.
  • That's a good example, toothlight - and well done.
  • That sounds amazing toothlight - nice to be involved in something like that.

I do think this project would work really well online rather than on paper.
  • I am disappointed in Ella. I sent her a poem about Keith, the cat, as requested, and not even had the courtesy of a 'thank You,' nor an acknowledgement of receipt. If we have such a cavalier attitude to each other, requests for help will be ignored.
  • I didn't even get a request!
  • Another newbie turns out to be a frost, apparently.
  • Oh well, I thought it a nice little poem, and what she wanted. Not sure how to publish the pic, so use your imagination:
    "The named me Keith instead of Patch. I have odd legs, two white, two black.
    My coat is black and spots of white. Not slim, well rounded, a funny sight.
    A stray for years, no home of my own. I roamed the streets of this ugly town.
    Food was scarce and life was rough. Fights, no shelter, I had to be tough.
    Until they found me in a lane. Hit by a car, crying in the rain.
    They took me home to loving care. We bonded and our lives we share.
    So I am one very lucky cat. Sleeping all day on my special mat.
    To show my love I killed a mouse. And proudly carried it in the house.
    'Take it out,' I heard them cry. They don't like mice. I wonder why?
    End
  • Excellent! I could see Keith clearly.

I think you meant to type 'they' as the first word :)
  • Oops! Well spotted, Lizy! Should have gone to Specsavers,
  • Nice poem, toothlight - I like the ending!
  • Guess what? After all this time, Ella got back today. She likes the poem and wants a brief (15 word) bio to go with it, and will get back when ready to publish. Although she apologised, no reason given for the three weeks delay. I'm saying nowt, and will believe the publication when I see it.
  • Heavens to Betsy! I thought this thread had died along with Ella's request for people to contribute free stuff to her book!
  • Ella emailed me again to say she now has 70 pieces for the publication, so.....onwards and onwards????
  • Well bless my old boots! Perhaps it'll happen after all.
    [-O<
    (Couldn't find the fingers crossed emoticon)