Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Robin Williams dead by suicide...

LizLiz
edited August 2014 in Writing
Finding this hard to think of...

Comments

• Just read this. A genius with inner demons is sadly far from rare. We saw the clown, but not the tears. So very sad.
  • Can't believe this. What a loss. I loved his work. I just introduced my daughter to Mrs Doubtfire last week.
  • Madame Doubtfire was one of our children's favourite books and films. We watched it over and over and always fell about laughing.
  • So sad. (Are all great comedians also depressives?)
  • No. A Dr friend (one of them!) mentions on FB that he destroyed the pleasure centres of his brain with cocaine and therefore sunk into a depression from which there was no out.
  • edited August 2014
    Very sad news, my first thought when I heard the news early this morning was Mork is gone.

A brilliant actor but like us all, a flawed human being. :(
  • No-one's immune from the crushing devastation of drugs.

Such a shame for his family.
  • He will be missed. I loved him in Hook, it was one of my favourite films as a child.
  • It is sad, but what's sadder is that a friend of ours who would have loved life for much longer if he could, succumbed yesterday to prostate cancer.
  • Sorry to hear that Lizy.

It's sad whenever anyone has their life cut short...
  • Losing anyone is always a shock and always sad.
    So sorry to hear about your friend, Lizy - and glad he got to experience the taste of your flapjack. That would have given him a little bit of pleasure for a short time.
  • Sorry to hear about your friend, Lizy.
  • This was a big shock. Very sad for his family.

And, Lizy, I'm sorry about your friend too.
  • I'm sorry about your friend too, Lizy.
  • A sad loss in Robin Williams. So many great comedians seem to be troubled souls.

So sorry about your friend, Lizy.
  • Lizy, so sorry to hear about your friend. So unfair, this stealthy killer.
  • edited August 2014
    Lizy, so sorry to hear about your friend. So unfair, this stealthy killer.
    Unfair, yes, and a wakeup call for some of his friends, because he'd had a blood test and NOT BOTHERED TO PICK UP THE RESULTS.

When he had another test two years later ,the doctor threw his hands up in despair and told him it was too late, but that if he'd started treatment after the first test they could have cured it.

So chaps - get tested, and ladies - nag them till they do.

• Yes, get tested, There are no symptoms early on. Mine was picked up from a chance comment at the Well-Man Clinic three years ago, or I'd probably be none the wiser now.
  • Are the tests only done after a certain age?
  • I can't believe no-one contacted him about the results of the first test. Pretty shocking. What a shame. So sorry to hear that, Lizy.
  • Are the tests only done after a certain age?
    I think there;s an age at which the doctor will recommend testing, but you can ask to have the blood test, which is all that's involved to start with.
    The level of - I think it's called PSI - shows whether you need further tests.
  • Sorry to hear about your friend Lizy. It is PSA which shows up in a blood test. I persuaded my husband go and have a test when it was advertised in the local paper. His PSA was high and was advised to see his GP and in turn saw a consultant, however on the first visit he was clear but on the second it was cancerous, he has had brachyiatherapy (I'm sure I haven't spelled it right).
  • Ugh, horrible comments in the news.

Please sign and share - http://action.sumofus.org/a/robin-williams-fox-news-insensitive-comments
  • Signed. Vile.
  • These are the same people who reported on his family's request for privacy and then on the same page had a link to live helicopter footage of his home. They really don't care how offensive they are.
  • His wife has now said that he was in the early stages of Parkinsons. I have a relative with this disease and depression is one of the symptoms.
    Very sad to hear about his death.
  • Yep, Dad has it. It's a dreadful disease and a lot of people aren't aware of all the symptoms. It's not just about the shakes.
  • I know one of the poets at the writers' club who has had it for years, but it's now so bad he's had to stop attending meetings.

Both my grandfather's had it, which isn't good. :(