Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Java runtime environment

edited August 2014 in Writing
I uninstalled Java last week but I get this message come up every time I log on.
"unable to locate Java runtime environment on this machine"
How do I get rid of this annoying message? The only answer I could find on Google was to reinstall Java which, on principle now, I don't want to do.

I have Windows 7

Help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Unfortunately I was going to say reinstall Java :) It's used for many things -- especially on Windows 7. You even find Java in Blu-ray players, videogame consoles, phones... It'll keep on at you till you put the latest version back ;)
  • But . . . I've Googled "Do I need Java" and it appears that I don't. I'm not a business, I don't listen to music on my laptop, and there were THREE Java apps on my list, one of which was hundreds of MBs. My computer is slow enough without carrying passengers.

And the matter of principle is just that they DO "keep on at you till you put it back". That's cyber-bullying, that is!
  • It's a bit like taking your spleen out or ripping out some wires from your car...might not break you/it but you do kind of need them :P
  • "You don't know what you got till it's gone" ;)

Java can do things that you might not know you need it for until you can't do them *mouthful*

But if you're worried about large programs like Java taking up space, rest assured that the amount of space they take on your hard drive (HDD) doesn't impact the speed of your computer. Because the amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) they use when running has no bearing on the storage space they occupy on the disk; and the amount of RAM they use will only affect speed if there are multiple programs running at the same time, or trying to (and that depends on what processor you have, and how good it is at handling multitasking). And right now, if I check my task manager, although I have many large programs installed on my HDD, there's next to no CPU or RAM impact.

The only time your PC will be slowed down by the accumulative amount of programs you have installed is when it's first turning on (when you have them set to "run at startup", because it's loading them into memory).

So, um, what I'm attempting to explain is Java might not be slowing down your PC. It's about what's actually running in the background and taking up the most of your PC's resources.

I wish I could see your PC. It's awkward to hazard a guess at what's causing the slowdown, as you might be removing things unnecessarily. Java, for instance, is a programming language. Websites use it, internet browsers use it, all sorts of programs... Things might not work properly, that's why the warning's pretty important.
  • I check every so often and adjust what runs on start-up.
  • So the general concensus of opinion seems to be that I should cave in to Java's bullying tactics and re-install.

Install what?

• OH's pc was very slow and did a bit of googling and found a forum with a suggestion that these 'ADD ONS' can sneak onto computers and slow them down:

Fileparade bundle
    Search project conduit
    Babylon
    Fundial
    Mystart Incredimail
    Mystart Incredibar
    Plusnetwork
    Search conduit
    Sweet M
    Search NU
    Deltasearch
    Pinterest. Aot.im
    Search.snap.do
    Qv06
    Or Portalsites

I disabled them in EXTENSIONS and unloaded them from programmes. PC was ok after that.
  • Lizy, go to www.java.com and click the Download button at the top. It's likely that other things are slowing your computer down.

If you right-click My Computer under Start Menu (or on your desktop if it's there) a pop-up menu appears. Left-click the Properties option. Hopefully it will tell you how much memory you have, what type of CPU (processor) you have, e.g. Pentium D, iCore 7, AMD Athlon, etc. and the speed of it. If not there will be a tab with that information on in that window that opens. If you post what it says on here (or email me) and I'll take it as a starting point to see if I can help :) I run Windows XP so will have to go by memory as to where options are located on W7.
  • Thanks Bill and TS - I will tackle this tomorrow when I'm sober!