Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing about things you don't actually own...

Hi All,

My other half has been commissioned to write some articles on games for one of the leading magazines. However, we have an X-Box 360 with only a limited amount of very old games. We just aren't really gamers. We do not own (and never have) an up-to-date game.

However, as she needs to write about up-to-date games are we able to request copies from the Gaming Houses? We are not interested in freebies just the use of these games whilst researching. Maybe, they have time limited downloads?

So really my question is, how do you approach writing about something that you don't actually own and that it's not economically viable to purchase?

Comments

• Surely you can't write about a game unless you've played it yourself.

So, if she's been commissioned I suggest she either b orrow s the game from some young relative or neighbour, or confesses to the magazine.

Did she actually lead them to believe she was an expert?
  • edited August 2014
    She is an expert, she holds a PhD in Psychology. And has been commissioned on this expertise and written an article on it regarding gaming. The magazine now wants additional articles, hence the problem.
  • edited August 2014
    Put your hackles down, Bod - what I meant was, "an expert in gaming".

It sounds as if your Other Half is clear to ask them to let her hire one - a Game, that is - and possibly a 10 year old to explain it.

By the way - my stepson is known to the world as Bod - I wonder if you are alike?
  • are we able to request copies from the Gaming Houses?
    You can ask - doesn't guarantee they'll agree but if a well respected expert has been commissioned to write the articles then they might.

Alternatively tell the magazine concerned they'll need to supply the game in order for her to write about it.

"So really my question is, how do you approach writing about something that you don't actually own and that it's not economically viable to purchase?" You don't - not unless you wish to attempt to decieve both editors and readers and risk being exposed as a fraud.
  • Surely the magazine will provide her with access to the games?

They want her for her writing ability, not her collection of games.

The access to the games should have been covered in the commission.
  • You can buy games second hand. Though if it is one of the latest ones then that's unlikely.

Most of the shops that sell computer games will do pre-owned.
  • They are still incredibly expensive though - i'd have thought if you are to write about the games from a psychological viewpoint - how they affect the user? then you'd need to read the research into this subject as well.

My advice would be to ask parents at a primary/secondary school if they have children who would agree to let you watch them play. you'd get an easy 'in' to how the game works out and also how the children/young people seem to be reacting. you could even ask them questions before and after and see if they answer differently.
  • Sounds like your partner needs to go back to the magazine and ask if they can provide the game.
  • Sounds like your partner needs to go back to the magazine and ask if they can provide the game.
    What I intended to say before ~I put my foot in it!

• Thanks guys. We didn't want to appear to be looking for something for nothing but on the other hand, it would limited what she could or couldn't do without at least trying the games.

I think we will put it in the hands of the developers. If they want to provide a game example that fits the criteria of the article then great. If not we can revert to conveying the Science and then find users with relevant experience :)
  • edited August 2014
    As a freelance travel writer, I have a little experience in being commissioned to write articles. If, for example, I've been asked by an editor to write about a specific resort then I approach the resort who will either allow me free access or heavily discounted access.
    Your partner should certainly obtain the material she needs to write the articles she's been commissioned to write, BodToAWriter: either through the commissioning body or from 'Gaming Houses' who might be happy to give/loan her games if she credits them accordingly in her articles.
  • She has been commissioned to write about games, non-specific, or games in particular? There is a difference. The first, she can gather information from many sources without owning the games herself. The latter implies detailed knowledge of the specific games. Are they asking for her own experiences as a player, or for a wider field? She should have some knowledge of the games in order to evaluate her research, but she doesn't have to be an expert gamer if the goal is to evaluate the effects of such games on players of different ages, for example. Ask the publication what they want.
  • Bod, if it helps, take a look around these gaming websites to see what the latest games are: Eurogamer.net and IGN.com. You'll find reviews of the latest games and comments to get an idea what gamers are thinking. Then search those game titles on Youtube. Not only will you find reviews, but most if not all games these days will have a step by step walkthrough or a general play through. So you can actually see the whole game being played without owning it. These videos usually have commentaries, too, so that might get you inside the gamer's head, if that's what your wife needs. Some video reviewers/players have made quite a name for themselves with their opinion videos, too, so you might find the same names cropping up and therefore they may prove valuable sources to contact for interview (Total Biscuit springs to mind, or Yogscast). Hope this helps.
  • There isn't any specific games needed, unless research shows they are particularly fitting to the article.

The Youtube idea is a stoke of genius, thank you :)
  • Brilliant suggestion TS. There's loads of game footage on YouTube and the comments section will give you a good insight into how players feel about the games.