Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Story competition for me, low confidence though.

JenJen
edited August 2014 in Writing
I am so tempeted. I just clicked back into this site recently and on the off chance clicked opportunites and my local writing group (bridgend) has a competition going!
Wow!
I have low confidence however because I've only recently picked up the pace on my writing and re-written some stories. I'm sure they'll be better more experience writers than me who havn't been lazy or mentally enagaged elsewhere for years. (anxiety issues, work stress)
But I'm excited as it's local to me.
Advice appreciated, no doubt some here will enter?
Saying that I don't want to win the first prize, can't get there.

Comments

• Go on - do it!

OK, the chances of you winning aren't great as lots of other people will enter, but does that matter? Getting an entry together and sending it in is a good goal.
  • Write it anyway, Jen. Every story you write is experience gained, and the better you get, the more chance you have of winning. You won't gain confidence unless you practise. Go on - got to be in it to win it.
  • learn to love the experience of anticipation, to love the world of writing, learn to love having a go go go go go GO, Jen!!!
    (and good luck)
  • And when you think you've finished and edited it. Read it aloud.

Good luck, Jen.
  • Someone's got to say it, haven't they?

You've got to be in it to win it.

Not only that but
    any spur to get you writing is good, and all those other writers are probably just as self-effacing, or perhaps they're all too busy to enter.

SO DO IT! and good luck. x
  • I said that, Lizy.
  • edited August 2014
    I said that, Lizy.
    Do keep up, Lizy.
    [-X
  • Think of it as a first step, not a destination, Jen. Use the competition as a deadline to challenge yourself to get a story you're happy with ready and - the crucial part - sent off in time to take part. Let that be the goal, and anything more than that can be a bonus.

Competitions are good for the same reason they are bad - you never get to hear why you didn't reach the long/shortlist or win a prize. On the positive side, you don't have to read why somebody thought the story wasn't good enough, which can really dent your confidence. On the downside, you don't get to hear what area(s) you need to work on to stand a better chance next time.

The hidden benefit of competitions (and, I suppose, any kind of submission) is that your story is taken away for a few weeks or months. You should use this time to work on something else, and try not to even think about the story that's 'out there' (certainly don't look at it while the judging's taking place). Once the results are announced, even if you haven't scored a result, chances are you'll be much better placed to see the story in a new light, and you'll have a far better idea of how to improve it.
  • I can only echo what has already been said Jen. I think many writers have confidence and anxiety issues (myself among them) but the best thing to do is to keep at it. If the competition has a review service (You pay extra to have your story critiqued) why don't you see what feedback you get and see where you can improve?

Never, ever give up.

• You will retain some anonymity as far as the judging goes, so there's nothing to be embarrassed about, even if you don't think it's your finest attempt. You won't have to explain or justify anything.

I sense that you are excited about having a go. There's absolutely nothing stopping you dipping your toe back into the water.Treat it as an exercise -and when the judging is over, have a look at the winning piece and use it positively as an example to emulate next time. You can always hone your original version to make it better and resubmit somewhere else.

But, you never know, you might get shortlisted or even walk away with first prize. Go on... Do it!
  • I said that, Lizy.
    Do keep up, Lizy.
    [-X
    Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

• Go for it. If you don't win this one you'll have a story you can polish up and send to the next one. Good luck.
  • Thanks for all the support, I'm writing more now and trying to visit this forum more too, a lot of encouragement:)
  • Great. Go for it. You never know what might happen. Competitions are a great way to make you focus on your work, meet deadlines and edit effectively. Look on the actual result as a bonus!
  • I remember being at a Winchester Conference, and during one half day workshop, an attendee moaned she had never won a competition. "How often have you entered?" asked our tutor. "I've not actually entered one yet"