Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lola is in a book. She is famous!

LizLiz
edited September 2014 in Writing
Gaby Morgan from Macmillan children's books is a Lola fan and a little while ago she asked if she could include Lola in a book by Sir Tony Robinson.

Well, of course I said yes - I had to write a small piece and send her a photo, and it looks rather good - what's more they didn't change a word of what I had written - I tried to make it fit in with the general style (they sent me a PDF of the rest of the book).

I don't have time to put this in Dropbox so here is the link to the photos on my blog:

http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

Comments

• No wonder you're excited! I think a horse might be a bit difficult to fit into most peoople's houses, though!
  • As your photo has been used you can apply for DACS next year. :)

Lola is looking her gorgeous self as usual. O:-)
  • Ooooh,Carol, didn't think of that, it would not have occurred to me! Why - I have lots of photos in books...

Took me ages to get a decent photo of her in her jacket, with the logo showing!

American houses are bigger, though, Liz! They are tiny little horses.
  • How exciting. Well done!
  • Lovely - Lola's a star!
  • Liz, not sure how far back you can apply, but if you've got an of your own illustrations in a UK book, they are covered for DACS.

Liz, you have until 30th September to sign up.

• You and Lola must be pleased.
  • Lola stealing the limelight as usual! Of course she is so lovely she deserves to.
  • No wonder you're excited! I think a horse might be a bit difficult to fit into most peoople's houses, though!
    Is it a Freudian slip that there is a poop in your comment?

• Liz, not sure how far back you can apply, but if you've got an of your own illustrations in a UK book, they are covered for DACS.

Liz, you have until 30th September to sign up.

Thanks, Carol! Will have a look now... DACS? Where?

• About time, too.

It was only a matter of time...

Well done, Lola. You look your usual beautiful self, dahling.
  • Nice news, Liz. How old is little Lola, now, or shouldn't I ask a lady's age.
  • Sorry, Liz, got sidetracked and forgot the link.

http://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback
  • Thanks, all. Lola is 4, Maro.

Thanks, Carol!
  • Ah, think it's for stuff done in the last year - this book is only starting now...
  • Have you had any pictures/illustrations used in UK publications this past 12 months?
  • I have several photos in my daughter's book. Which sells quite well, but was published in 2009. I have illustrations in a poetry book that was sold about 6 years ago. But nothing more recent than that till this.
  • There is going to have to be a Lola fanclub, you know.
  • Cute as ever!
  • Brilliant news!
  • There is going to have to be a Lola fanclub, you know.
    I thought we were it?
  • DACS allows you to go back as far as you like, Liz, unlike ALCS which is only for 3 years, so all those things you mention should qualify. As Carol says, though, can only list stuff from July to September each year so need to get your skates on to qualify for this year's payout. I have still to do mine so a timely reminder, Carol.
  • That's good to know you can go way back still, Wordy.
  • How is Lola coping with her fame? Hope she hasn't gone all diva-esque on you!
  • I think she has forgotten all about it, Lou!