Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

9/11 an interesting poem

edited September 2014 in Writing
Thought you might like to read this.
I like the Biblical repetition

History Of the Airplane
And the Wright brothers said they thought they had invented
something that could make peace on earth
(if the wrong brothers didn’t get hold of it) 
when their wonderful flying machine took off at Kitty Hawk
into the kingdom of birds but the parliament of birds was freaked out
by this man-made bird and fled to heaven

EDIT - possible © infringement, please visit City Lights instead, link below, to read full poem and others.
http://www.citylights.com/Ferlinghetti/?fa=ferlinghetti_poems

Comments

• Bill.... it is a breach of copyright to post an entire poem...
  • *quivers and waits*
  • ...ooer! >:/
    ...but anyone can read it for free by going to the site where I got it from. If I tell people that there is a poem on a site and they go to it...what is the difference?
  • Webbo rapped my knuckles for posting someone else's poem here - it's an infringement of copyright
  • Criminals, the lot of you!
  • Well, is it his site? They may be infringing copyright, too. By posting it here, you put this website in the wrong.

And if it is his site, then you still don't have a right to post his poem elsewhere.

I've recently had a site which has posted my poems without permission, and which did not remove them when asked, closed down.
  • Yes, I take the point. Thanks for reminding [again]. Perhaps we should delete this then?
    The site was poem hunter. Are they breaking the rules? You can click on any published poem.
  • It's impossible to tell. It talks about 'submitted' poems, and says at the bottom that all poems are 'the property of their respective owners' - the wording is a bit weird!

So some people obviously send in poems, and it says the site is for 'educational' purposes.

But in any case, it's not permissible to reproduce content of any site.
  • Poem Hunter is one of many of those archive sites which are on perfectly solid ground with the classics (copyright is death plus 70 years) but not so much with anything 20th century onwards.
    Ferlinghetti doesn't seem to be overly concerned with exclusivity for his print books - publishing those recent poems in full at the site of City Lights, his San Francisco bookshop - but even if he has given Poem Hunter permission, I'd rather send the traffic to his site than theirs!