Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is there an alternative word?

edited September 2014 in Writing
Here are two consecutive verses from a different poem (from those some of you have seen). I am perturbed - yes, perturbed - that I have used the word 'coffee' twice in such proximity. I've tried to think of a coffee brand to replace one of them, e.g. Gold Blend, but the stress is wrong. Any ideas? Take it away, TBers...

Edited and magicked away...

Comments

• cooling caffeine
  • Of course! The girl's a genius. :-B
  • Doesn't 'cooling caffeine' make it sound like the caffeine has a cooling effect rather than 'is cooling down'? And would it really cool down that fast?

My job as arsey editor is done for the day :D
  • Scalding rather than cooling? If a liquid is applied to the skin "cooling" seems to imply soothing primarily.
  • latte laced?
  • No, it wouldn't be scalding, Eddisbury. It's been sitting in a mug for a while. I thought of something like that, ana, but it's teacher's coffee, so nothing as fancy as that!
  • edited September 2014
    Oh, br, just noticed your comment! As I just said, it's coffee that's been hanging around, getting cooler and cooler. I've given you a bit out of context, so you're not aware of the whole story...

And, if you've ever spilt a drink, you do feel it get colder as it works its way down your body.
  • edited September 2014
    The first two lines have seven beats, the last two only six. Just saying...
  • I read this as, "Is there an alternative world?"
  • Beveridge? It does scan ok when read aloud.
  • Is de caff a place to drink in the alternative world?