Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Running a Writing Group

edited September 2014 in Writing
Just back from my monthly stint running a creative writing group for the local branch of U3A. Two new members, and aren't I lucky being the ONLY male at the meetings now? The last one has left. Joking apart, it's had work but so satisfying, and we do have fun with some of the writing when read out. My ladies are keen, and one has received a 'commended' for a poem entered for a Writers Forum competition, which excited the others today, seeing the magazine with the list of names

Comments

• Sounds a wonderful enthusiastic group, toothlight. Well done. :)
  • It is exciting seeing your name in print for the first time.

Congratulations to her and to the teacher who inspired her!
  • edited September 2014
    Yes, it does.

EDITED BY WEBBO, 23/9
  • Well done, T!

I'd change groups, TN.
  • Yes, find another group.

TN, how is the group, you go to, organised? Who makes decisions? Or doesn't by the sound of it...
  • edited September 2014
    Writing groups soon fold without structure and purpose. We work to a set programme which I compile and only the week's homework is read and then everyone offers feedback. I believe everyone learns from the feedback discussions. Anyone is welcome to nick ideas from our programme or lift it wholesale http://www.codsallwriters.weebly.com
  • edited September 2014
    Betsie, that's how I would set up a group - to hone people's writing skills and to get feedback, to listen to 'professional' writers, etc.

EDITED BY WEBBO 23/9
  • Some people just need to be taken by the scruff, on times, have your say TN
    sounds like you'll be doing them all a favour.
    There was a chap like that in the creative writing class I attended. I like to sit and listen but it got to the point when it became irritating, he also had the attitude that he thought his was the best writing - maybe it was maybe it wasn't. So little Miss Silent, here, held her hand high one evening and protested and, voila, we all had a regular turn from there on in. Job done.
  • We've been going through changes this year too.

At one time lots of members would have work to read on our second meeting in the month, but numbers have been going down-getting too old, work hours preventing attendance, and yes, even death, so we've introduced mini-workshops and discussions for that evening, and they are proving popular.
  • Tomorrow is my first meeting as leader of the local U3A writing group, probably because no-one else wanted it. I've already been threatened with reporting to U3A because someone on the waiting list thinks they should be in the group, and a new member, new to writing as well has informed me that he has 'definite ideas on how a writing group should be organised'.
    *sighs*
    I'm hoping that the tazer and tear gas will be delivered well before the meeting starts.
    I'm beginning to wonder if my role as Group Clown will actually translate to Group leader. It could be a bridge to far, and not just for me...
  • *salutes*

You'll be fine, sm. They will warm to you immediately and will be putty in your hands. Just hypnotise them with your humour and curled lip.
  • It sounds like you will be in control - which can only be good!

Hope it goes and well and you enjoy it.

• We meet weekly in term time. We have writing exercises to stimulate our creative juices and read out our homework set by the previous week. We all take turns in taking the class so that it never gets stale.
  • I believe a writing group should WRITE. Strange idea? But I have been to many where folk read their ongoing work, to polite positive comments, then go home wondering why their brilliant prose is rejected by publishers! So each time we meet, I make them write and then read back for discussion. This week we began the vexing problem of 'Point of View.' They also leave with 'homework' to read/ discuss at the next meeting. I would love to take the pressure off myself and have a professional author at a meeting. The members would have to pay a hefty sum to cover the fee. I shall suggest it and see the reaction
  • Am not surprised that you have found such uninspiring writing groups. Would only be surprised if you stayed with them. We have a vibrant group, sending out a weekly email to 163 people to inform them of next weeks activity. We have regular attendees of between 12 to 25
    Each week Is different ...and fun! For example, this month we've had two Manuscript Nights, a 300 word Flash Fiction Competition prepared in advance and submitted anonymously and read and judged by all, & a 20 word Flash Fiction Comp, written at the meeting, and a picture caption competition Readers are restricted to 2000 words at Manuscript Nights
    Life is too short to go to groups with boring people. It's in your hands
  • If folk are allowed to write 2000 words, I doubt many get a chance to read out their work for comment. I make 500 words max, so everyone read their work. Ironically when I had 14 attending at one meeting, I lost a new member who emailed to say she had wanted to read her work. I find 8-10 the maximum number for positive engagement by all.
  • Sounds like you are doing a great job, TL.

Nell, if she suggests you take over, just say you have too many commitments to put in the 2 hours preparation and reading time it would take.

You should definitely say to her that the one man dominates and that everyone should get just 3 minutes to read their work. That is three sides of A4, and is fair to everyone.

It always struck me that my writing teacher must have had some sort of training in mental health care, there was always someone who was coming along to 'mend' themselves through 'writing it out'. these people are not writers, really. They suck the life out of writing groups. It's sad, but they are at least getting out some of their angst, and they should get the same time as everyone else.

Also, same answer to the other members of the group who want you to read their manuscripts/books - I have too many other commitments, sorry. Bloomin cheek!
  • I have to say, having been a member of several writing groups, I admire anyone willing to take it on. You can't please all of the people etc springs to mind. Well done anyone who does it.
  • There's so much scope for writing groups, from smaller informal groups, to larger groups who can offer more variety because they have more people.
  • We have a small writing group that meets once a week in a room in the local library. We do a lot of talking, but we also do homework and have a quick writing session (about twenty minutes) and then read and discuss what we produce. We often have such a good time that we end up going out to lunch together to carry on the discussions. We don't really have a 'leader' as such. One woman is in charge of collecting and banking the weekly fee (for visiting authors we occasionally invite) but we all just contribute ideas for discussion and homework and writing. There's no overbearing personalities, so we're a happy bunch. I think I'm pretty lucky really.
  • Writing is such a lonely occupation I think to be able to meet in groups and discuss, have a moan, let out anger over rejections, etc is therapeutic. Also, any sort of positive outcome (see my first post) lifts the morale of everyone
  • edited September 2014
    My baptism as leader went quite well.considering. One of the existing members, an elderly lady with attitude, pointedly ignored my pre-meeting request for everyone to write a 250 word piece introducing themselves: "I've been in this group several years, and I'm reading 700 words entitled 'Revenge' ". So there!
    *Sighs*
    The 'new blood' however included several published writers and at my prompting they came up with some good ideas, and we may even consider an anthology. A couple of the guys seemed a cut above average, borderline intellectual, even and the short pieces they produced smacked frighteningly of 'literature'. That stuff makes me nervous.
  • I suppose there was no point in telling her that if she entered a comp, she'd be excluded if she didn't follow the guidelines.

*sighs*

Glad it went well!
  • edited September 2014

"an elderly lady with attitude"
    Love it!! Think I know her actch.

• Glad you managed to keep control, sm! ;))
  • I belong to 2 groups. One is the library group where homework is set (I have only just starting going to this one) usually by a visiting speaker, feedback is then given when it is read out.
    My regular weekly group I attend (I don't get every week but try for 2-3 times a month) does not set homework. We have a workshop held each week. One member will volunteer and come up with a theme, idea etc and we will then have 20 mins to write something (preferably around the theme but as long as we write something), a read around and reactions/advice, coffee and then the last 45 mins we can read anything we have written or read that has been of interest. On the whole I prefer the week workshops but I like that the library group have guest speakers.

I wish I had the energy to attend them both all the time but unfortunately I don't.
  • edited September 2014
    I actually had a dream about the U3A group, last night. The door burst open and an endless crocodile of primary school kids trooped through, singing and shouting. Then the room expanded to immense dimensions and there were people lying about in beachwear, drinking alcohol. I couldn't find my group and I'd lost my folder with all my essential notes in and I ended up trudging through a desert, but as I made my way under a gigantic electricity pylon, I needed a pee and woke up.

And I've only done one session...

:-SS
  • LOL! Sorry. I have dreams like that - the brain is strange little thing.

• I half-expected Mustapha to turn up in the desert scene!
  • I think Mustapha is rehearsing for his next Talkback appearance...
  • Oh, SM, that made me laugh.