Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Illustrations/cover art work

edited September 2014 in Writing
I may have asked this question before so I apologise in advance if I have (I am suffering from awful brain fog at the moment as well as lots of pain and medication side-effects).

I have a collection of children's poems which I was hoping that my daughter would be able to illustrate but she is just too busy having set up her own business. I have several options. a) I could have no illustrations and opt for a standard stock createspace cover. b) no illustrations but try to get a cover designed etc and attempt to use that (not done this before) or c) try to find someone to illustrate it and design a cover.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or advice. Where is the best place to look for illustrators? How much is it likely to cost me? etc, or do I just publish it as it is to start with knowing that I can always re-issue it with illustrations etc at a later date if need be when I can afford to.

I am doubting everything that I do atm due so it would be helpful to have some opinions.
Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    We have a number of illustrators on Talkback.

See this thread: http://www.writers-online.co.uk/talkback/#/discussion/185093/new-art-thread

• I've recently done exactly that, Gina, i.e. published an illustrated book of children's poetry. However, I did everything myself and paid out nothing. For the cover, I used a photo which I played around with in Picassa (I think - or it may have been Publisher) and I found free fonts that I was allowed to use for commercial purposes.

I didn't illustrate every poem, just the majority. Having found that lots of Clipart came with limitations, I spent hours and hours drawing with the mouse! I am no artist, but I just wanted simple designs. I saved these and managed to transfer them onto the page where the corresponding poem would be.

For a long time, I just couldn't make it work on CreateSpace. The images were all hanging off the pages and, after many attempts, I abandoned the project. The answer turned out to be quite simple. I just had to change the page margins on my Word document!

Create Space has recently released the option of specifically publishing children's illustrated books, so I went down that route, although I could just have easily stuck with the original CreateSpace programme. This new option allows 'pop ups' and such like, but I couldn't really get to grips with all that!

You can't see much on the 'Look inside' feature, but if you're interested, this is the finished book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouthful-Chuckles-Helen-Laycock-ebook/dp/B00NN2FF9S/ref=la_B006PGFVL6_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412157291&sr=1-3

I have a paperback copy and I am incredibly pleased with it. The main disadvantage of including coloured pictures is that the cost to the reader rises dramatically as compared with a text only book. Also, with illustrations, you are given a limited number of book size options that you are allowed to use.

But, if you have time on your hands, you could do what I did...
  • I didn't know createspace had an option for children's illustrated books so I will look into that, thanks.

I was under the impression you couldn't use clipart due to copyright issues. Can I use them if I alter them from the original? and by how much do they have to be altered?

I had come to the conclusion that I could use b&w line illustrations to try and keep the costs down but I suspect I am trying to run before I can walk on the health side at attempting too much. lol.
    I had hoped to just be able to place them at the top or bottom of the poem or occasionally between verses just using a copy and paste.
    I really can't afford to pay anything much out at all as I haven't been working for nearly a year now so I think I will just have to muddle through although I will take a look at the link Carol so thanks for that.

As for the cover .... that's another issue for me to deal with all together. :)
  • Can I use them if I alter them from the original? and by how much do they have to be altered?
    How much do you think someone would have to alter your poems before you'd be happy for them to use them? It really isn't fair to use someone else's work, even if you do adapt it first.

Could you take photos and use them? If you have a digital camera the editing software which allows you to make adjustments probably has a filter to make them look like drawings or paintings.

• Could you take photos and use them?
    What about letting some children loose with a (preferably inexpensive) digital camera?

Point them in the direction of what you want and see what happens...
  • I know, I know! How about asking a class of children to illustrate the book for you? Children's drawings are brilliant. Take in some black felt tips and ask for line drawings. A free copy of the book for each of them as payment. Good publicity too!
  • That's a lovely idea, Lou. Wish I'd thought of it!
  • hiya ginab :-) I am an artist in my spare time. that and writing.
    can I pm you some of my work? would love to help if I can

xx emily
  • Sorry I haven't been on here for the last few days etc as I've not been well. Some interesting ideas so thank you everyone. I was only asking about being able to alter the clip-art which I understood was free to use but wasn't sure about altering the basics on the computer.

Thank you all for your comments though. I appreciate your help. :)