Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Formatting?

JenJen
edited October 2014 in Writing
I'm writing a story for a competition but I need advice on formatting. I'm using the formatting option in word where you click format- paragraph and then 1st line hanging. This changes every first line at the start of a new paragraph to be indent e.g.
end of paragraph, then the new paragraph will look like this
new paragraph

Is this right? And on speech? I ask because I did a short story home study course once and I've been looking over it to learn from past mistakes and it says something about this. I hope you understand what I mean.
I'm trying to make sure I get the format/grammar right for this competition (i'm trying to enter the one in writing magazine it end this week, hope to send it on fri/sat). Double line spacing etc through Word formatting
thanks in advance. This is the first time in years I've entered a competition and I want to do the best I can.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    You want 'First line', not 'hanging', though I think that is what you meant anyway.

The first line of the story, however, and the first line of any subsequent new section (i.e. after a whole line break as above rather than just a new paragraph) should start again at the margin (i.e. without the indent).
    Speech is the same, even if the story starts with dialogue.

I always use first line indent for the whole story then go back and manually take it out at the start of each section using the arrows at the top of Word. There may be an easier way, but I don't know what it is!
  • JenJen
    edited October 2014
  • Yes, that's what I meant when I said 'speech is the same' - sorry if that was ambiguous.
    A new speaker is the same as a new paragraph, therefore indent unless it is the first line of the story or the first line of a new section.
  • This reminded (and panicked) me about a story I submitted to a comp a few weeks ago: a story containing at least two new sections. Had I remembered to change the first line of the new sections so that they weren't indented? Yes I had. Phew! But timely reminders are always good - so thanks for this thread, Jen, and good luck with your entry.
  • I agree with Heather. Where I want to take the indent out, I do format/paragraph and then change it back to none.
  • edited October 2014
    I indent all my paragraphs, wherever they are. Maybe one day I'll be struck down with writer's block for my naughtiness and then I'll be sorry.
  • I do as well, PM.

I have to remember to not do it at the start of a story or chapter of a novel. :-\"
  • I've got options in my formatting box that say 'First paragraph' or 'Following paragraph'. I'm a good girl - unlike naughty PM.
  • edited October 2014
    I don't bother, Carol. Life is too short to go around unindenting paragraphs.
  • edited October 2014
    I just do it as I go along, I thought everyone did... #-o

*feels foolish*
  • I have a standard set-up and then finalise at the end.
  • Thanks for the advice. Hoping to submit it today now.