Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What unique message would you write...

edited October 2014 in Writing
inside a book cover if you were signing it for your adoring fans?

Comments

• To xxxx
    The pleasure is all yours!
    sm
  • Ha ha! I like it! :))
  • Please mind your clothes. Blood, sweat and tears are liable to stain.
  • You have excellent taste!
  • I did a book signing and it was mostly really difficult to think of anything interesting. In a few cases, after speaking to the person something came to mind, but mostlty it didn't but as I had been talking to them I felt I should write something personal. A standard phrase would be good.
  • edited October 2014
    Yes, it would be great to have something ready. Being put on the spot is stressful!
  • 'Thank you, hope you enjoy it.'

;)
  • Last signing I went to the 'fans' had to write the message they wanted on post-its and hand it to the author.
  • edited October 2014
    When I went to a book signing by Michael Palin we were asked to write down on a Post It what we wanted him to say. The queue was tremendously long - and the book signing over-ran significantly, and by the time I got in I was told he would only be able to write a name instead of a message. Poor bloke's hand must have been aching from gripping that pen!
    p.s. he was kind enough to add 'happy travelling' to mine when I told him I was a fellow travel writer! :)

Umm, so to answer your question, TN - ask the punter what they want you to write.
  • I was going to say that asking the punter what they want would not only take too long but would be fraught with unforeseen dangers. Then I read Claudia's post and my points have been covered.

Think of a stock phrase - preferably a short one - and stick to it. Baggy's is good.
  • I do a little drawing with my name which virtually everyone laughs at. And sometimes I say, 'happy reading' and sometime, 'hope you enjoy these poems' or something like that.
  • To my fans?
    I guess I'd write: Dear Mum...
  • Happy reading, and thanks.
    We Bears are not noted for our penmanship, so no-one will be able to read it anyway. Perhaps I'll just go with a paw print.
  • After agonising over what to write, hubby pointed out it didn't matter as my writing is unreadable anyway. Maybe random squiggles and a slight chuckle to indicate the witiness of my remarks would be the way to go?

A drawing, if appropriate and you have the skill, is a good idea.

One author I bought a book from wrote 'Bright blessings' in green ink and added stars, but that was appropriate to what she wrote.
  • I got "Love and schmultz" and "The truth will set you free" from Terry Pratchett. The second was definitely related to the book, but the first? Nothing personal, I'm sure ;)
  • edited October 2014
    You met TP? You lucky beggar! What book did he sign for you?
    The Truth, I guess?
  • To my biggest fan.
    I licked one of the pages.
    Steven
  • Yes, quite a few years back, when the local Waterstones was called Ottakars. I have never (and I really mean this) seen a queue so big for anything in my town. But he stayed over time, thankfully, else I never would have made it.

It was my first and so far only book signing, so I didn't really know how these things worked. But I took a copy of Carpe Jugulum with me (oh yes, he signed that one with "Go for the throat!" - I forgot about that). And I bought a copy of The Fifth Elephant and the hardback of The Truth there and then. So, three signed books in one go. It was when The Truth was first published.

To be honest, I didn't know what to say other than "You inspired me to write." And he said, "Don't copy me." Although I actually wasn't, at the time. I did start with a "comedy" fantasy book, but had completely changed direction by then.
  • And to answer the original question, I have never even thought about what I'd write in someone's book. I'm more concerned by the signature itself, as it's awful and also very plain looking. Not really very signature-like at all. Maybe I should make one up specially for book signing...
  • Yes, something elaborate with lots of curls to confirm unquestionably that you are creative!
  • Not that I'll be signing any books, but I use one signature for banking and another for everything else. Yes, paranoid.
    Good idea TN lots of creative swirly curvy stuff.
  • If you are signing for a queue, Nell, the fewer curlicues the better. OH has the simplest squiggle ever and i often think of my signature becoming like that...