Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Tourist trapped in bookshop shop overnight.

edited October 2014 in Writing
http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-17/tourist-trap-us-man-stuck-in-london-bookshop-after-staff-lock-up-and-leave-for-the-night/

How many of us have dreamed of this? A book shop lock-in? I was in the store a few hours earlier, maybe I should have stuck around?

Comments

• How... funny? exciting? scary?

At least he had signal on his phone!
  • And a smartphone at that, so he could take a picture to prove it...:)
  • Brilliant!
  • Much as I like books I'd rather be stuck in a sweet shop.
  • Yuk! You'd son be sick - if I were you, I'd go for being stuck in a Waterstone's with a café, so there was chocolate available, a loo, and books.
  • edited October 2014
    Une ancienne who I made friends with in Canet, en Roussillon asked me to drive her into Perpignan. Whilst she went shopping I would visit Le Castillet. We, nearly did not meet at four p.m. as planned. I enjoyed myself looking at the fantastic, tableaux in the museum, but on returning to the lobby at three forty five there was no one at the desk, and the door to the street was locked!
  • What happened next, Patricia? Is this a serial?
  • Wot happened next?
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Lizzy et al
    Trouble en Roussillon Part Two
    I screamed,
    "Au secours. Je suis lache au Castillet", to the Marie, from a phone in the lobby, whereupon the attendant, airily, returned, having, just popped out for a Gauloise, or something. I shot out of the door like air out of a balloon.

• The staff should've checked the store. Mind you I work in a shop and people will just walk in at closing time and not leave on time either.
  • Why don't you lock the doors 5 mins before closing like some shops? Such a good clue!
  • Perhaps people could be discouraged from entering at closing time by a burst of automatic fire triggered by a time switch. A few fatalities would soon ram the message home.
  • Subtle as ever..
  • What a great idea, sm. May not get past the bleeding-heart safety brigade though. What about the sprinklers, just by the door?
  • edited October 2014
    people who linger at closing time will be turned into books [a la Kafka's Metamorphosis] and spend eternity on a shelf screaming unheard for help at people browsing books.
  • We try and lock up early but the shop's in a shopping centre and security comes around and checks we haven't locked up. I have a new manager and I'm hoping he isn't going to want to hang around
  • We try and lock up early but the shop's in a shopping centre and security comes around and checks we haven't locked up. I have a new manager and I'm hoping he isn't going to want to hang around
  • sorry I thought it didn't post
  • Maybe a tannoy announcement would work.

'This store will be closing in five minutes... so get your butt outta here.'