Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How many could you take?

edited October 2014 in Writing
I have offered to give a talk to adults which will involve reading stories and poetry. I am working out a programme, but don't want to bore anyone!

How many stories/poems do you think you would be happy to listen to in one session?
Tagged:

Comments

• Depends on the length. Read them aloud, check the time, factor in time for laughs (where appropriate) and see how you can juggle them into your allotted time. Remember to allow time to introduce each piece - for context.

I went to an afternoon tea event where a poet read from her collections. She seemed to rattle through them - but they were shortish. Then we moved on to the scones...
  • edited October 2014
    Yes, I've been doing that. A story takes about ten minutes to read. I wondered if four was too many/too few, plus about four or five poems. I've never been to a reading so I don't know what sort of quantity is offered.

And scones... hadn't thought of them.
  • You need to allow plenty of time between each item - people will want to comment, even if it's just to their neighbour. Otherwise you'll speak over them and that's never good.

...cream?
  • Maybe that's too many items then...

Tea and biscuits (soft so that the crunching doesn't distract)
  • LOL! That event was in a tea room - we had pre-ordered. Not sure you want to be accompanied by the sound of slurping.
  • edited October 2014
    That sounds a lot to me. How long is the talk overall? Who will the audience be? Will they want you to talk about the inspiration behind the pieces, add anecdotes etc? All of that will take up time. I would have thought maybe less than 50% of the total time should be the actual readings (but that's just my guess/opinion)
  • I'd take more than you expect to read, so you have spares and can change which you use if the audience seem to like or dislike something in particular.

Inviting questions is also a good idea, to make the audience feel involved. People tend to be shy at first, so maybe give more than one opportunity at different stages.

Take anything you have to sell.
  • Do you have any bookmarks?
  • Yes, I am just in the process of making them, Baggy. I've got one set with adult books on them and the other with children's. I've bought a laminator and a guillotine. I might give out both so they know what I do.

I think the audience will consist of middle-aged/older people, possibly female? It's hard to say exactly, but it'll take place in the daytime, so that's who I imagine will be there. I'm a bit worried about sensitivity as a lot of my stories occasionally steer close to the mark - nothing explicit or in bad taste: the presumed death of a hated cat, for instance, a pants-wetting incident, black humour - but they are my favourite stories and the ones I'd like to use.

That's a good tip, PM, to take more than I need. I'll make a 'reserve list'!
  • Definitely don't read too many. There's a limit to how long people can listen intently for. Definitely leave a gap after each one to answer questions etc.

When you read aloud, read VERY slowly, much more slowly that you would imagine is normal, it will sound slow to you - but people need that time to take in what you are saying and process it before you get to the next bit.

If you are reading a story in its entirety, and it is a mystery for instance which relies on information being received, you need to repeat that info at least twice (in a TV programme it is 3 times) in differing ways, if it is paramount that they understand something before the end of the story/to understand the story.

I might have the cake etc in the middle and do one after.
  • Thanks, Liz.

Yes, absolutely right about reading slowly. I know that from my teaching days!

Whatever the story, I can remember what inspired it. It's surprising how real life events can spark you off so I'll be able to introduce or reflect on each.
  • Don't introduce. There is nothing as mind-numbingly boring as someone reflecting or or saying how they thought of a story, before they've read it. If anyone asks you after, by all means tell them... but... the very worst poet I know (well-known) is complained about because she does just that. People are invested or interested in your story till you've read it.
  • When I say worst poet, she is a good poet, but very boring in her presentation.
  • I agree with not introducing the story. An explanation aftwerwards would mean more.

btw, a plea to anyone who reads work at writing groups and the like - please, please, please don't do that 'I didn't have much time this week/it's not very good/I'm not sure what you'll think' etc etc. Just read it!
  • Good luck with your reading. I hope it goes well (of course it will!) All the very best.
  • Thanks, casey!

I've made a poster to go up in the library, though I haven't yet filled in date and time. I've got my bookmarks made and just need to clip off the corners (my clipper arrived today) and I've a rough idea of how it will pan out.

My last task is to order some books, but I have no idea how many or what to charge.
  • I was wondering about the clipper - hope it's a success (the event and the clipper).

:)
  • Ha! I just mentioned The Clipper on another thread.