Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

John Steinbeck- "Of Mice and Men" - Createspace and its market

edited October 2014 in Writing
After securing a decent share of a small market (AS students of selected poems of Emily Dickinson and Edward Thomas), I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of presence you can get in the GCSE study guide field. Perhaps 300000 students take GCSE English Literature; but how many of them buy a study guide?

My guide to "Of Mice and Men" has risen effortlessly into the top three on Amazon in the space of about 6 weeks; ahead of the Letts guide, and mixing it with York Notes and CGP.

I'm about to publish a long(er) study guide to that fantastic novel "Great Expectations", which is both an A-level and a GCSE text. Once that goes live, I'll have more evidence.

The moral seems to be that if you can identify your market, and find a suitable distribution channel, then, provided you can compete on quality, you can write your own destiny.

Comments

• Fantastic work, aeschylus. Well done on finding that niche!
  • Clever fella, our Aeschylus! Very well done, Sir.
  • Well done, Aeschylus.
  • Well done! The Letts guides and York notes are used by so many, maybe people want a fresh look at things? Onwards and upwards!
  • I don't know if you are aware, aeschylus, that AS levels are now being phased out; it's back to the old two-year A level courses.

My daughter's GCSE texts are Pride and Prejudice and Macbeth - if that's of any help to you!
  • Well done finding the niche and writing an excellent guide of course! Onwards and Upwards.
  • What a brilliant idea - you have found a great niche and what is more, your books are helping students to succeed!
  • Well done. Aeschylus!