Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

mental health disorders...how do they impact writing?

edited October 2014 in Writing
Basically wanna know if any of u guys suffer with depression
Or any other mental health issues.
I have bipolar and find that when im very high writing spills out of me
But when im very low I can barely get out of bed let alone write.
But my hubby made an interesting point that perhaps those negative emotions
Can be harnessed....afterall they hav inspired my life of poetry and writing in
General.
Without my condition would I b as creative?
Just speculating......interesting subject I think.
Pain adds more to the written word than almost any other emotion.
Sadly we can all relate...

Comments

• I'm not bipolar but, like most people, I have days when I'm more up than others. My mood does have an impact on my writing (and I suspect writing makes a difference to my moods). It seems logical to me that the more extreme the highs and lows, the more they'll impact on your writing.

Many creative people do seem to have a mental health issue of some kind, but I don't know if the incidence is higher than amongst the general population.
  • yea I think it can be used for good really. its horrible to live with at times but theres Stephen fry and david walliams etc...so guess its better to be too creative than not creative at all. think the key is not giving up
    x
  • I have anxiety and that can make me really low. Sometimes I can't focus to write anything
  • I have mental illness - personality disorder bordering on Bipolar along with Epilepsy. I find writing difficult. Grand ideas come, you want to write, and then depression hits you and you cannot be bothered.

My Psychiatrist said to apply Mindfulness to my writing by allowing the depression to be used in a way to motivate me towards writing. Even if its a little. He also said to use a journal during these times and later these entries can become subjects for your writing.