Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Question about self-publishing previously published book

edited November 2014 in Writing
I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I recently got all the rights back to a nonfiction book from a publisher and would like to publish the book in paperback using CreateSpace. I know I will need to get a new ISBN no, but I'm worried I'll lose all of my reviews. Is there anyway I can keep the Amazon reviews?
The book I'll be publishing is the exact same book that came out before with a new cover. If I say its the 2nd edition of the original book will Amazon let me keep the reviews?

Comments

• I've published second editions, Jen, and my reviews have remained. Where I did lose some was where I unpublished a Kindle book, then subsequently made a CS version.
  • Are you able to make a note of the reviewers, just in case? Also, if it's the book I'm thinking of, I have it on my review site and would possibly need to update the link when it's published again. Other reviewers may need reminding of this - if they post reviews on their own blogs etc and add a link to Amazon.
  • edited November 2014
    You'd have to contact Amazon and ask them. It's not something you can do yourself I don't think. As you didn't upload the first edition yourself, you can't just amend the cover and ISBN etc, you'll have to upload it as you would a new book.
  • Thanks for the advice, everybody. BB, it's not the bullying book you reviewed - thankfully, that's still on sale and doing quite well. It's Living Cruelty Free. My publisher went out of business and I got the rights back.
    I didn't realise it would be so complicated:) There's so many things to think about, but it could have been worse. I know writers whose books have just disappeared into the nethersphere, so I feel lucky to have my book back.
  • Interesting as I have the same problem with a children's book, 'Court of Foxes.' Similar story, the publisher went bust owing me and many authors royalties. I have sent to a publisher overseas, and will wait until I get a 'Yay,' or 'Nay' before making plans. I also had good reviews, plus four from well known authors who saw the manuscript before publication, and they were included.
  • Toothlight, I hope you get a new publisher for your book:)
  • The biggest hurdle in these 'publisher's gone out of business' situations is officially getting the rights back. Once you can do that you can go at your own pace.

Good luck Jenthom and toothlight with new futures for your books.
  • Thanks, Carol. Luckily I got my rights back before this particular publisher vanished:)
  • So pleased to hear that Jenthom. Your books can now have a new life. :)
  • There was no problem with rights as the Society of Authors looked at the contract for me before I signed.
  • That's good toothlight.

I know of one person who couldn't, because the company went out of business and was bought up with all the rights included. I don't know if they eventually got them back, but they were not happy.

• It does show the importance of understanding the contract before signing.
  • From now on, I insist on a clause that gives me the rights back if the publisher goes out of business. It's a nightmare otherwise:(