Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sticking to a theme?

JenJen
edited November 2014 in Writing
I'm writing for a themed competition but I'm concerned whether or not I've stuck to the theme. The theme is bridges. One bridge is in my story but I'm not writing about a bridge although it is mentioned and visited, the characters are the story.
So my question is how can I make sure I am sticking to the theme? Can I mention a bridge or does the story have to be featured on the bridge throughout?
I did have an article in a magazine about it somewhere but I can't find it and researching on Goggle has been no help.

Comments

• I would think mentioning a bridge isn't enough. The bridge would have to be something that enabled something to happen, a meeting place, a memory of a bridge [incident] or perhaps a person can act as a bridge - a go between, perhaps...
  • Could they have the bridge as their 'special place'? Meet there regularly or have an argument there or a proposal?
  • JenJen
    edited November 2014
    The bridge is their special place. They go there once in the story and it's mentioned at the start
  • Is it integral to the story, or does the story stand without it?
  • edited November 2014
    I agree - if the theme is bridges, then bridges or a bridge must 'make' the story. If the story can stand without it, it might not be enough to only have it as their special place. Hard to know without reading the story though...
  • I did add something in the end, like a metaphorical bridge too I don't know if it's good though I guess it's a chance I'll have to take
  • Good luck with it.
  • Themed competitions are always difficult to interpret. I've seen plenty of winning stories that barely relate to the given theme or even don't mention it at all, so in the end it must come down to the judge - and he or she will have to decide how big an emphasis the author needs to have put on the theme.

From the sounds of it, if there's a physical bridge in the story and it means something to the characters, your story should be fine, Jen. Best of luck with it.
  • Thanks danfango and thanks for all the advice.:)
  • Yes - good luck, Jen.
  • I would think mentioning a bridge isn't enough. The bridge would have to be something that enabled something to happen, a meeting place, a memory of a bridge [incident] or perhaps a person can act as a bridge - a go between, perhaps...
    Hmm...I think I would cross that bridge when I got to it.