Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Kindle Countdown or Frebee

edited November 2014 in Writing
I've done a Kindle Countdown deal for The Water Gypsy but wonder if I should have done a Free give away. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to giving the book away for free (other than going up the ranking).

Comments

• I managed an Authors Amazon account for him for two years, I found it had very little impact on further sales, it did however show up as a book that readers had bought along with other they had purchased so that can help some what. However when I gave away free copies of the first book from a six series children's novel it made a big increase on the sales of the second novel of the series.
    I would not worry about the Amazon rank as you could be a top 100 seller just for one day.
    I gave my own children's story book away every 90 days and it made it in the top as well as appearing in Amazon's newsletter but it did not see sales grow at all. This is only my personal experience others may have found different.
  • As the happy_author said, free days are useful for getting a book on the 'people who bought this also bought lists' but other than that I think they're a waste of time. Most people are continually downloading free books but never get around to reading them so it doesn't necessarily lead to more reviews or subsequent sales.
    I tend to stick with the Countdown Deals these days.