Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dictaphone

edited November 2014 in Writing
Hi everyone I was just wondering if any one uses a dictaphone to aid them in there writing.

Comments

• I used to use one for work writing, when I had to do reports of meetings and visits, but I had a secretary then to type it up!
    Now, unless I was unable to type, I don't think it would be an advantage as I do a lot of editing as I go along and wouldn't be able to do that as I wouldn't be able to see what I had written.
  • I don't use one. Wherever possible I write first drafts onto my laptop, which I take with me whenever I expect to have the opportunity to write.
  • No, I don't possess one - but I don't think I'd use one if I did! The great think about a computer is that you can jot anything down, however sparse or ragged, and return to it at a later date. That's my method.

If a brilliant idea came to me while I was out and about, I'd probably write it down on the back of a receipt in fairy writing...
  • Considered it - may consider it again (finger injury getting in the way), but you can get software that will translate words into text, which would be of more use.
    I find the writing process is silent, and the small delay between thought and typing suits me. I don't write aloud - it's too immediate.
  • I think people who walk often may find this useful, as ideas pop into one's head easily (well they do mine) when walking.

I used to transcribe audio tapes.
  • Aaah... that's a good idea, dora. I v. occasionally remember to take a pencil and paper, usually everything I thought has long gone by the time I'm home.

I do have a digital recorder, but the buttons are SO tiny... I'd have to try and find the instructions to find out how to work the darned thing. It's not like a good old tape recorder.
  • Not personally.
  • I use one to record songs and bits of songs that I'm working on - mainly because I can't read and write music so anything I compose on the guitar I have to save because my memory is so bad I'd forget it in an hour...not thought about using one for writing - usually I type ideas onto my iphone when they come - usually at 3 in the morning for some unfathomable reason - can't see my wife being too happy if I start mumbling into a tape machine in the wee small hours - but never say never...
  • edited December 2014
  • After deleting the first reply that came to mind: I'm a fan of my Blackberry, with its proper little keyboard. On occasion I can be seen, mid-walk, standing in a field, typing away. I hope I never have to resort to any phone with a touch-screen keyboard, they drive me to diffraction/registration/frustration/subtraction/interaction/destruction/abstraction/distraction ~X(
  • C2C2
    edited December 2014
    Can you still get those, smart pens, they looked handy and discreet for recording when on the move or working.
  • They sound very 'James Bond', Maro!
  • I used to use a dictaphone when out and about to record information on noticeboards, guidebooks and so on for articles. Switched to it after my notebook got wet one day and I found I couldn't write in it. One snag I found was transcribing information afterwards. I kept having to replay passages over and over again but then I am not trained as a typist. However I now use my digital camera and that way the images and the info are all together. I still use a notebook for jotting down ideas, though, but now keep it safely under wraps in inclement weather.
  • It does, TN, I thought that when I saw them many years ago, I'm sure they did exist, and I haven't imagined the item...have I?
  • edited December 2014
    I do - I have a digital one that works with the voice recognition software I have so it can automatically transcribe. I use it sometimes when walking the dogs. If I don't have it with me I use the record function on my phone. The times I use it most are if I am driving round doing research. When I wrote The Lifetracer I needed info on some different areas so drove round adding notes occasionally.
  • edited December 2014