Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Looking for short film scripts

edited December 2014 in Writing
Hi everyone,

My name is Ray and I am a Lancaster based film maker. I've been making corporate videos for the last 20 years but my passion has always been drama.

I run the Lancaster film makers co-op which I set up in order to help people get films made, usually with little or no money.

I have been struggling to write scripts (lack of time and inspiration) lately and thought maybe a different approach is called for, so I am asking around to see if anyone has anything that they would like to see made. I cannot pay for the script but do have some budget to spend on making it.

I'm not too worried about what the film is about or its genre or anything like that, I will just have to like it. I would say that it will have to be low budget so the fewer helicopters I have to blow up the better.

If you have anything that you would like me to take a look at I'd be grateful if you could get in touch.

Thank you all so much.

Comments

• Hi Ray,
    interesting idea. Could you post a link to your website or any videos you've already made? Might encourage one or two to bite.
  • Hi

Thanks for that Webbo. Here's a few videos (not all dramas) that i have made (some old and some newer) and a link to my website (which, you have made me realise needs updating). Some of these were made with a bit of a budget (never very much) and some were made with a few mates over a weekend. There's been lots of help from the Lancaster film makers co-op in most of the recent ones.

Enjoy.

http://www.lancastervideo.co.uk/default.htm

• Hi again

I wonder if I need to say something about these films. The most recent is the Wassailing one which i did for a local charity who run all sorts of green spaces and parks around Lancaster. that was made earlier this year.

Then Fight For your Right is one of those make a film in 48 hour challenge films. At mid day on the saturday afternoon they gave us a title, a line of dialogue and an action that have to be included and we had to write, film, edit, score and upload a finished film bu mid day on the monday. This is what we came up with. There are plot holes galore but I quite like its energy. The film wasn't so much written as devised by the actors all improvising stuff with me and a few others all offering suggestions.

Last post was made very quickly and I was never quite happy with the script. I had written an earlier draft that i had forgotten about and then the actor said he wanted to make a film (I think he wanted a showreel) and did I have any ideas. I said i would make a film but we would have to get it finished in time for a local film festival so I dug out this script as a way to see if it sparked any ideas and he loved it so we did a quick re-write and got everything together and then we had this glorious weather for a couple of days and so we ran out and filmed in magic hour (just as the sun sets) over two evenings and then got a morning in the church. That afternoon we filmed the opening of him in the battle and that was it. So the whole film took about three hours to film and from the date of the first e-mail asking if I had any ideas to the finished film was three weeks.

My Life With a Mime was actually written as a series of comedy sketches that a friend and I wrote and we filmed them to see if they were funny and then I thought that this particular character could work as a short film (although it has no real story to speak of) and so i edited a few of the sketches together.

Cat was my first film out of University and most of the crew were people i'd met there. I don't know what to say about it really other than if i made it now it would be about ten minutes shorter.