Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Has there been a change to the type of stories accepted by the Weekly News?

edited January 2015 in Writing
TWN isn't easy to get hold of where I live and so I'm not able to read it on a regular basis. However, from the last couple of issues I have read, I've formed the impression that the stories are less general in their subject matter than they used to be and much more like those aimed at the women's magazine market. What do other people think?

Comments

• Wonder if that's a result of the new DCT contract?
  • I don't think that's the case (the style having changed) They've always had some womag style ones.
  • I suppose it comes down to what they're receiving at the time.
  • They're still after family related stories that appeal to both male and female readers. As far as I remember they don't take romance or love stories and I don't think that has changed. Humour is favourite.
  • I've sold them romances, the last one of which was published in early December.
  • They certainly used to like twist in the tale but I haven't bought a copy for a while.
  • edited January 2015
    Carol, I see Keith Havers has a story in there this week. He goes to your writing group, doesn't he?

Must admit, I did sort of guess the ending quite close to the beginning.
  • Yes, Dora, Keith is a member of NWC too.

Must admit, I did sort of guess the ending quite close to the beginning.
    I think it's easier for writers to do this Dora, but a lot of the time the ordinary reader won't. :)

• I think writers probably are more likely to spot twists, particularly if we write that kind of story ourselves. We notice what's not's said, not just what is, don't we?

I do enjoy a good twist ending story which catches me out and do across them occasionally.
  • I think that's true Carol.
    I can often tell from the first few lines of the story what the end will be, especially if it's one of the old favourite gender-switch, or 'girlfriend' is really sister, or MC is going to be pregnant in the end (last one particularly overused IMO!)
    Like PM says it's nice to read one where I don't guess the end!
  • I read a lot, and I mean A LOT, of short stories on a regular basis. It's quite a bit more than 'nice' to find one that surprises. :)